What's new

Sputnik up for sale soon

ebod

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-CTDI SPUTNIK
Hi all, not been on 'ere much but still running Sputnik. She's on 265K miles and despite a few knocks & creeks she's still patrolling the Manchester<>Leeds corridor of the M62.

The MOT is end of June so I'm planning to get it ticket'd right on the 30days limit to give it 13months validity, plus also have it serviced as it will be 270K miles by then.

I'll probably put it on fleabay and I'm considering a 1p no reserve auction ( is this wise????? )

I have seen peeps putting I-CTDI's of similar age and getting over a grand even with siezed engines. I know Sputnik is mega miles, but I've got FSH and bills for timing chain & clutch/DMF & replacement injectors...which is probably more ***uring than many same age cars 100k less. Although the formal service interval is 12500 miles..since 200K its been done every 10k miles, basically twice a year.

What would you guess at for 30/06/04 (04 plate ) Exec saloon with tan leather & nav & 17" rims...oh and a lot of miles?
DSCF0541.jpg

not sure on what its worth, but the milage is stellar....and impressive lol

i think you would do well to get 1.5/2 grand for it thou

Hi Ian,

That really is a fantastic achievement!

I would say it's worth whatever it's worth to someone.. very hard to value something like this. Realistically it's worth a bag of sand (grand).. possibly a few hundred quid more.

It might be worth you getting your hands dirty and renewing basic things like bushes etc and giving the body a bit of a detail and then just stick it on eBay. You might be surprised at what it sells for.

One thing for sure is I want to sell it 13 month MOT'd & serviced so nobody can complain. Also I'm making damn sure I don't let go of it to anyone I'm unable to track down genuine address details for.
The last thing I need is some chav buying it and then a month later the cops knocking on my door asking if it was me who clocked it to 60000 miles or summut dum like that.

I once saw a VW Sharan MPV on ebay and it had 190000 miles ( I bid and lost as it went for ~£3.5k ) somewhere down south . Then I saw it again weeks later on autotrader with 76000 miles in Bradford for twice the ebay price :-0

It would make an ideal cab...but it would be nice if somebody else picked it up and kept it going. Me personally....I already have another family car, so its time to scale down to a little hyper-eco diesel.

There isn't a Honda in the ~59 plate region thats suitable, so I'm probably going for a PSA 1.6 diesel ( Pug/Cit/Ford/Mazda) or a 1.3/1.7 Corsa....or an A-Class. I always go for for hi spec, so I'll keep an eye out on the BCA car auctions site in the coming months.

I've noted there is a new all alloy 1.6 Honda diesel available this year, so who knows..maybe in 3 or 4 years time I might find a new Sputnik in the guise of a hi-miler 62 plate Civic :p

Wow Ian that is great mileage indeed.Good luck on the sell and i hope you get a good price for her.

Impressive miles but a cared for engine should do that, what impresses most is it's still on the original Turbo.

Try ebay but your better off advertising privately, piston heads, gumtree, free-ads, autotrader etc...

1.5-1.7k would be optimistic but reasonable down south.

I'll probably put it on fleabay and I'm considering a 1p no reserve auction ( is this wise????? )
Try Buy-it-now with Offers, or at least put a Reserve

The problem with Auction is that to get a reasonable price you need two people who really want it, and that ain't going to happen.

...The last thing I need is some chav buying it and then a month later the cops knocking on my door asking if it was me who clocked it to 60000 miles or summut dum like that.

I once saw a VW Sharan MPV on ebay and it had 190000 miles ( I bid and lost as it went for ~£3.5k ) somewhere down south . Then I saw it again weeks later on autotrader with 76000 miles in Bradford for twice the ebay price :-0
Clocking it... now there's an idea. I do honestly know someone with a spare Accord instrument panel with a much lower mileage on it.

Id keep it, run to 1million.

And be the second person in the world to do 1million in an Honda

1st was million mile Joe, in a 4th gen Accord.

Impressive miles but a cared for engine should do that, what impresses most is it's still on the original Turbo.

Try ebay but your better off advertising privately, piston heads, gumtree, free-ads, autotrader etc...

1.5-1.7k would be optimistic but reasonable down south.

One thing I ALWAYS do is NEVER rev the engine on startup/shutdown and never go above 2000rpm til I can see the temp gauge climbing out of the cold. The turbo has a very mild whistle when cold @ ~1500rpm, but soon goes away ( just like its done for the past 4yrs). Its also still on its original exhaust ( manifold replaced though ). I wouldn't want it to happen....but technically its probably worth more as a write-off, as I bet the insurance industry don't have a scale for such a mileage. I bet its just classed as 100K+

Re: taking it to a million....Hey...if it did 55+ mpg I'd keep it longer. But ~43 is a bit of a burden for 20+K miles a year. EDIT: scratch that point. Its more that I'm bored and fancy a change after 4yrs ;)

Hi all, not been on 'ere much but still running Sputnik. She's on 265K miles and despite a few knocks & creeks she's still patrolling the Manchester<>Leeds corridor of the M62.

The MOT is end of June so I'm planning to get it ticket'd right on the 30days limit to give it 13months validity, plus also have it serviced as it will be 270K miles by then.

I have seen peeps putting I-CTDI's of similar age and getting over a grand even with siezed engines. I know Sputnik is mega miles, but I've got FSH and bills for timing chain & clutch/DMF & replacement injectors...which is probably more ***uring than many same age cars 100k less. Although the formal service interval is 12500 miles..since 200K its been done every 10k miles, basically twice a year.

What would you guess at for 30/06/04 (04 plate ) Exec saloon with tan leather & nav & 17" rims...oh and a lot of miles?
DSCF0541.jpg

is this named after this based on the whopping milage lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/solarsystem/space_missions/sputnik_1

Id keep it, run to 1million.

And be the second person in the world to do 1million in an Honda

1st was million mile Joe, in a 4th gen Accord.

Honda would probably give you a brand new car also if you did that.

they should. :p

Clocking it... now there's an idea. I do honestly know someone with a spare Accord instrument panel with a much lower mileage on it.

its this easy to clock a honda accord, ?

new instrument panel, that's news to me. thought the ecu would need to be swapped too, i am sure there is memory involved in this that is permanent and cant be overwritten easily.

?

All cars are easy to clock, the mileage is stored on a eeprom in the cluster. Merc/bmw store them on the keys or ecu aswell but they just as easy to do.

Thats why it's always good to check against service/receipts/mots if they have that upto date it's likely to be genuine mileage.

i know, i checked the stamps on my car before i got it and based in the year and milage on it when i got it, looked like it was right.

a car with very low milage is always fishy.

It's fairly easy to create false service documentation, and if you put it through an MoT after you clocked it (or swapped the instrument cluster) then the current mileage would be the one entered on the fresh certificate. I reckon it must happen all the time... why wouldn't it?

But yeah, you wouldn't push your luck by making the mileage stupidy low.

I've been in the new Civic with the new 1.6D engine, was very impressed but not in it long enought to see if it got near the 70mpg claim, I will definately be giving this civic a look at in a couple of years when it's time to move on from my Accord, the boot was nearly as big as my 8th gen tourer with rear legroom to match! A true big small car with great mpg.