What's new

Squealing

godzilla84

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord Tourer
Yesterday afternoon driving back from Alton Towers to Liverpool my Accord developed a high pitched squeal. I can't be 100% sure but I think it's coming from the front (possibly the wheels) it's only there while the car is moving and changes sound according to road speed but it eases off when I steer to the right. Does anybody have any ideas what it could be?

Sticky brake caliper? Are any of the brakes/wheels getting hotter than the others? Has your fuel economy dropped off? How old are the pads?

As above, it could be the front brakes.

If it's from the rear, it's the rear brakes. There are metal prongs on the pads that rub against the brake-disc when the pad has worn down.

Yep, probably a wear indicator. It can make a weird noise.

If it is that, then bend them away from the disc a little... this will give you peaceful driving while you buy some new pads and get round to fitting them.

Tbh, I wouldn't bend out the wear indicators as this is what it says it is, an indication to get them changed, if it does in deed turn out to be the issue..... My bro bent/broke off my sisters, but did she remember to get them changed, eh no, new discs also please!!!!

Jon_G said:
Yep, probably a wear indicator. It can make a weird noise.

If it is that, then bend them away from the disc a little... this will give you peaceful driving while you buy some new pads and get round to fitting them.
I did that too

Hi Brian... I do take the point about not doing so in case you forget (albeit unlikely) but it would drive me mad having to listen to the horrible noise while I was waiting to do the job!

Jon_G said:
Hi Brian... I do take the point about not doing so in case you forget (albeit unlikely) but it would drive me mad having to listen to the horrible noise while I was waiting to do the job!
I bought the pads then forgot, then the noise came back again and I did the pads (as you probably know, it's easy on the Tourer). You can't bend the prong very far btw, just enough to stop the damned noise for a week or two. I think the prong is also there so that the thickness of the rear pads can be felt without removing the wheel .... well they never remove the wheels when they MOT my car and you can't see the pads without removing the wheel.

I had that a while ago, the sound was very loud and embarrassing. I think it was a small rock trapped somewhere next to the disc. After a few miles the squeal stopped.

Ditto. Find a back round. Do some stamping on the brakes. Some stops with the hand brake. In both 1st and reverse. Try and shake the little stone out. Alternatively, leave the car a while. As the brakes cool, the contract in size often freeing the trapped stone.

freddofrog said:
As above, it could be the front brakes.

If it's from the rear, it's the rear brakes. There are metal prongs on the pads that rub against the brake-disc when the pad has worn down.
Late reply but THIS is what it was. Despite sounding like the front, it was the back brake pads. New just over 12 months ago. I think they were Pagid pads from Euro Car Parts. Just swapped them for genuine honda ones and they fit a lot better (not a surprise really) seems to have cured 90% of the rubbing i had from the rear of the car too.

In the past I've also fitted cheap pads on the rear brakes and they didn't fit very well and wore down at an alarming rate. Mind you, pads from Honda seem to be made of hard cheese

2 weeks on from fitting the Honda pads, i'm much happier. saving my pennies for new front pads and discs now. Then gonna give all 4 calipers a lick of paint. Not sure what colour to go with. Possibly silver or black.