What's new

SRS diagnostic problem

gary1fr

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 ex auto 2003
Hi,
I have 2003 Accord LHD 2,4 Ex auto since new only 69,500kms. I live and bought it in France.
After visiting various dealers to consider buying a replacement I reached the obvious decision to keep the Accord.
So decided to treat her to a visit to the Honda dealer for engine oil, gearbox, brake and coolant fluid changes.
On collecting the car I was informed of a SRS problem. The SRS warning lamp was on and I needed a new SRS ecu !
When leaving the car there was no warning lamp on, 35 mile drive to the dealer.
I will not be taking up the offer of an ecu change for £1000+.

I have recently fitted a carlink but no problems with the SRS after that.
I have tried re-setting the SRS. I get the double flash from the warning lamp but on starting the car it returns to on after briefly going out.
There are plenty of s/h ecu units for sale with different code numbers all claiming to fit VII Accords.
Not sure if LHD have different ecu's ?

If anyone has any thoughts on what might be my best next step please let me know.
Any previous problems I have had I have always found the solution in this forum but this time my SRS searches has not thrown anything up.

Thanks
Gary

UPDATE.
I disconnected the battery for ten minutes and on restarting the SRS lamp went out.
Short drive all seems okay.
Second drive out the SRS lamp comes up while driving. After stop and restart SRS lamp goes out !
Does it twice more. Only difference between drives the second was with a passenger.
Seat belt sensor ?
Is there a link between the SRS system and the VSA system ?
I was wondering weather the brake pedal switch could be causing the warning lamp.

In your situation and if you’re planning on keeping this car it’s worth investing in a Honda diagnostic system and running your own diagnostics. You can buy them from eBay cheap enough.

Retrieving the error codes will give you a clearer path towards the solution. It does sound like a faulty sensor or loose connection somewhere. Did your passenger move their seat back and forth at all?

Thank you for the reply.
I have considered one but have often wondered if they are somewhat mis-leading. How could Honda diagnose a faulty SRS module but not a sensor problem ?
Yes, I suppose that they may have not been trying very hard and stopped at the £1000 replacement module. Can a faulty seat belt create an unique error code I wonder ?

My passenger didn't move the seat but obviously did put some movement on the seat belt. I am more convinced that it is the seat belt sensor as I made another solo trip and no warning light appeared. Going to take a passenger again to see if it reappears.

If your srs light is on then there will be a dtc present in the srs memory. Once you’ve scanned and retrieved the error you’ll have a better idea of the cause.

I see that.
I have arrived at that point without a code reader. Sadly chez Honda with the correct equipment decided it was a very expensive fix. Which it appears not. Hence my doubts about being useful to me.
I am sure that they are indispensable in the right hands.
Maybe I am stuck in the pre-canbus era !!

In your situation and if you’re planning on keeping this car it’s worth investing in a Honda diagnostic system and running your own diagnostics. You can buy them from eBay cheap enough.

Retrieving the error codes will give you a clearer path towards the solution. It does sound like a faulty sensor or loose connection somewhere. Did your passenger move their seat back and forth at all?

Any particular make?