What's new

Stage 1 EGR Off - The remap to get for standard clutch

sheraz01

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport CDTI 56
Hi all,

Just want to say big thankyou to Fahad on remapping my Accord and my friends Civic CDTI's. His service is great, he ran diagnostic checks on both cars and cleared any historic codes. The Civic definetely feels quicker and smoother and my friend is happy with the Civic thankyou. The Accord however was diagnosed by Fahad as having a cracked manifold, I never really noticed much smell previously however had noticed lack of power. Thought this might have been service related, however this did not improve after the service. I am glad Fahad spotted (or rather smelt) the manifold issue, on his advice I have booked in for a diagnostic check for the manifold and hopefully I will get some luck with Honda UK as car is less than 7 years old and is right on 125k.

Car does feel quicker after the remap but not as noticeable as in the Civic but this will be down to the manifold. Fingers crossed with Honda UK over warranty claim.

Thanks Fahad for all your help, Top Guy! Premier Tuning-Premier Service.

Hey Sheraz, thanks for joining and posting.

Do stick around, we're a friendly bunch and you'll learn loads about your motor. You would probably have known about the manifold if you were here. Check this out:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/79-exhaust-fumessmell-in-cabin-i-ctdi/

Speak soon

Ok took car to dealership (Springfield Honda) and they insisted that they need to strip certain things to do the diagnostic checks. They have said that there are hairline fractures in the exhaust manifold, however they put in a claim to Honda UK via a computer ( no phone call conversations) and I am not covered as my car is slightly over 125k (125124 Miles). I think it is ridiculous that 124 miles is not taken into account it is hardly anything. They also said that Honda look at the service history of a car and it is had no services carried out in Honda Dealerships since 2010, I replied that I only bought the car last year and I have recently carried out a service elsewheree, they said that Honda look at this when judging goodwill however no conversation between Honda UK and the dealership took place!

Anyways they charged me £42 for the diagnostic checks and they have said:

Manifold replacement would cost £562.72 inc fitting
That my clutch was slipping 'heavily' and that most likelt I would need a new clutch and because of how bad it is slipping a new flywheel also at a cost of £1624 in fitting. This even though my car only ocassionally slips in 6th gear!

Any advice on what I should say to Honda UK guys, My car is a 56 plate so within 7 years of age but slightly over 125k by 100 odd miles. I asked for contact details for Honda UK to be refused, but then once I pressed for details they gave me a number for customer relations. I asked for an email address but they refused to give one, does anyone have an email address for Honda UK? How should i go further with this?

I'm confused by the name of this thread... you go on to mention that your clutch is slipping! :unsure:

But good luck with getting Honda to replace your manifold. I think it's very wrong that they know there's a manufacturing fault with the original manifolds, but haven't undertaken a remedial recall. Same goes for the clutch ***emblies too.

Sorry Jon only mentioned the clutch because thats what the Honda dealership said (regarding their comments about clutch and flywheel). The clutch has been slipping ocassionally in sixth for some time now,long before the remap however is not anywhere near regular enough to change. I only carry out fairly low mileages and mainly town driving. I know the clutch will need replacing at some point in the future but I think this one still has a fair bit of life in it. I decided not to go for stage 2 remap regarding clutch posts on forum ( regarding needing an uprated clutch). I personally have been put off CG paddle clutch due to some of the reviews by users.Anyone have an email address for Honda UK regarding warranty claims?

It's a subject I'm currently very interested in - I would also like a performance remap, but know that my clutch does sometimes slip in top gear when under high load (not an UNUSUAL situation, I understand). Hence why the thread ***le drew me in!

Back to your question... Honda contact info - http://www.honda.co.uk/contactus/

EDIT: changed usual to UNUSUAL!!

Thanks Jon, I would definetely reccomend Stage 1 EGR off remap, seems to be a good balance of power and smoothness that wont have as much negative effects on a standard clutch as a stage 2 would. I suppose for yourself with yours being a tourer don't know if that would make any difference on strain on clutch. Supose it depends if you regularly tow or carry heavy loads. I think the advice Fahad gave me was sound, I will keep driving on the standard clutch until slippage becomes obtrusive ( which I will imagine will be some time away yet) and will then change to a Honda 325 clutch.

Sheraz, unfortunately this dealer sounds completely typical of many of the dealers in the network now. No real personal service or any attempt to intervene and exercise some common sense to the decision. I also don't agree with their 'diagnostic' charge as you only need to remove the heatshield to see the soot marks. And from the smell and sound, I can tell you it was more than just a hairline crack, it sounded fairly bad as i've heard a few now.

I would definitely get in touch with Honda directly and explain, and ask for some goodwill and common sense. It's a very well documented and well known problem and there's no way it's just developed in the last 124 miles!

Also service history is completely irrelevant in this scenario and just another example of a poor dealer talking out of his rear. The cracked manifold is a result of poor manufacturing and the revised part is a single cast block which doesn't suffer the same problem.

Worst case, you use your garage or my mate to have the existing one re-welded, but if you can get a proper replacement revised part under warranty or at least some goodwill, then that's the preferred route.

Also, the clutch issue is nothing serious right now, just live with it.

Fahad I know the clutch is not an an issue at the moment,I am just flabbergasted at the shoddy service I recived from Springfield Honda and their justifications as to their diagnostics. I have rang Honda UK and spoke to a nice helpful girl who seemed understanding, She says I will get a response within 3 working days. Fingers crossed.

Slightly off topic but I have had bad customer service from the very same garage so much so I wouldnt take my car back there, they lie and simply dont care about what you have to say in the slightest.

If you can take your car to the Silverlink dealership, they are much much better and cant do enough for you, they are actually bothered and listen to you.
Forgot the womans name who works there but she is great, very very helpful.

Oh and the most important thing, the tea and coffee facilities are excellent.

Hi All,

Here are my experience with the said problems.

1) Exhaust Manifold - Replaced by Honda if under 7 years or under 125k. Mine was only 50-60kl so was done free.
2) Clutch - Honda do a fixed price clutch replacement under Honda Happiness for £580. They did this once and it still slipped as they hadn't replaced the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF). They changed it a second time under warranty but said that I should change the DMF at the same time. Honda price was £800, pattern part was £400. I knew the garage as I had worked for them before and I phoned around and got the same part for £318. It was actually the same part that Honda use as well that they charge £800 for! Once they were both done, clutch slip completely gone.

I've had they stage 1 with EGR valve off mod and yes it does go like stink afterwards. My only question to others that have had this done is, "does you car smoke like a second world war battleship when you boot it away and the turbo is fully engaged?" It feels like I don't leave people in a cloud of dust, just in a cloud of black smoke!

Thanks

Ben

Having the EGR off remap does significantly increase the amount of black smoke coming out the exhaust. You're not the 1st to mention this. It's normal for the remap.

Wide open throttle under load will give you some smoke mate..

Had the Stage 1 remap + EGR off done about 1 week ago - car is far livelier . About 2 days after I also started using V-Power and put in a tin of BG244 , this has resulted in another performance boost and I cannot detect any smoke at all at any speed/load . My car has 75000 on the clock the previous owner was a rep. who only used it for long distance meetings - genuine I think , so car is not used to low or no speed traffic which I know has clogged up previous EGR valves on cars i have owned eg. Panda diesel .

The performance benefits of the Stage 1 + V-Power + BG244 are huge , the 600 or so miles I have done since are on the same tank of fuel so economy has not suffered !!!!!

One thing i have noticed is that the engine does not seem quite as forgiving at low rpm , its either that or I want to use my right foot more :D :D

Alan

Sheraz I'd try another dealer.

I used Springfield once and once only.

They changed my manifold no problem, also mentioned my clutch which was quite bad and they said it was fine????

You drove at 30 in 5th put your foot down and nothing apart from the revs going up, I said didn't you try this method? basic stuff.

I took mine to next closest to me in Harrogate and they got it sorted straight away and got Honda to pay towards it as well without me even asked them to. Top service

I've also had bad service from Stockton which damaged my Civic Type R and said it wasn't them, two friends had both seen their cars been driven on a test drive at this dealer at silly speeds along road next to dealer, dealer said testing and going speed limit but mates Type R was in for mot only and was doing what he thought was about 100 in 50 limit. These only my opinion.