What's new

Stage 1 Remap + EGR Off - What are you waiting for?

blcooper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi All,

Just a thanks and a strong recommendation for F6HAD to do a stage 1 remap + EGR mod for your 2.2 iCDTi owners out there. It's worth every penny. Honest to god, it feels like he's put a different engine in after he's finished. Plus he does a load of diagnostic work on the car as well to check that the car doesn't have any problems that can affect the remap.

I'm going to have to try hard not to get a speeding ticket now!

Thanks again F6HAD

Regards
Ben Cooper :D

Glad to hear that the remap is treating you well. I'm considering getting it done on my recently bought accord and was wondering if it is considered as 'modification' of the car and should be declared to the insurers? Also, I've heard that clutch should be replaced with a better one?

EDIT: Also, does the remap present any difficulties trying to pass MOT ?

thanks!

From what I understand, the clutch may wear out quicker but once it does, it should be replaced with a higher standard clutch (many threads on the forums about this), At this point you could then opt for the stage 2 remap for even more BHP! As for the insurance, you could tell them about the remap but from what I gather, it's hard to tell that it's remapped. F6HAD may be able to advise on this.

With regards to the MOT, if you turn the EGR off, it will increase the emissions, but should still pass. Anyone else with the remap over a year care to commment?

Glad to hear that the remap is treating you well. I'm considering getting it done on my recently bought accord and was wondering if it is considered as 'modification' of the car and should be declared to the insurers? Also, I've heard that clutch should be replaced with a better one?

EDIT: Also, does the remap present any difficulties trying to pass MOT ?

thanks!
That is an excellent point about notifying your insurers - I'm wondering if anyone has bothered to do this and how much the premiums were hiked? My nephew had major insurance grief when claimed against because of a body kit which included smoked rear light covers - but these things are obviously more noticeable.

Ben - you may want to edit out your full name in case your insurers see this!!

I'm OK cos mine isn't actually remapped! I'm just pretending it is so I can look cool on the forum. My insurers know I couldn't afford such luxuries anyway.

Thanks Ben - no issues with MoT, we've specifically developed our EGR OFF in a certain way to comply with UK MoT tests.

You should always declare modifications to your insurer.. I couldn't comment on whether people do or don't.

As for clutch, I've done plenty on stock clutches with no issues, but equally you will always have some that have problems.

My rule on this is simple. If you plan to tune, then budget for a new clutch at some point. The longer you get out of your standard clutch without issue is a bonus.

Thanks for your recommendations Ben B)

I'm sure this has been asked before but I've no time to search ... at work on a quick break. With the EGR sticking open it can cause excessive smoking, is that correct? Also, if the EGR was sticking open, and the Remap had the EGR Off, would that solve the 'sticking open' smoking problem?

Just realised, it's been ages since I posted on the forum!

The EGR OFF closes the egr, so that part of the exhaust fumes do not enter the engine again for another burn. As the fumes leave the engine immediately, it can smoke a bit more.

I think this is it. Now you got me confused.
biggrin.gif

It's not that simple. EGR is designed to be open or closed depending on many variables inc load, engine temperature, revs etc.

The EGR OFF solution will not work if your EGR is already knackered. If we are requesting for it to be closed at certain points and it's jammed, it will not respond correctly and cause problems. Even if it's already jammed closed, the solution will not work as it does need to open ever so slightly under certain conditions to remain compliant with MOT emission tests.

If you're thinking of having this done, do it before the valve completely cokes up.

Also EGR OFF doesn't mean extra smoke because the gasses are going straight out - we've made various changes to the fuelling tables to ensure it operates perfectly.

I'm about to do an EGR-off tune myself on my S-Max 2.0TDCI

5mins messing about with a £4 quid blanking plate off ebay hahhaa. :p Ford/PSA don't trigger ECU lights ...apparently... :D

Yep - that's true, some don't. Good luck!