What's new

Starting issues 2.4 Auto - cranking but wouldn't start

-Rich-

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 Tourer Auto
Yesterday the engine was cranking but wouldn't start. I tried several times and I suspected the battery was a bit flat so I charged it up last night and tried again this morning. It still didn't start but was cranking ok so I don't think it is the battery, plus it's not even 3 years old yet. The positive clamp is a little loose as it won't tighten any more so I need to get a shim for it but I don't think that's causing the problem.

I checked the fuse box and made sure all the relays and fuses were seated ok then I tried again while pressing the throttle. I managed to get it started and let the engine run for 5 minutes before turning it off. It was ticking over as it should.

I'm suspecting it might be fuel related - maybe a relay, the pump or just a blockage. Any ideas on what I can check and how to test them?

Thanks

yeah it doesn't seem like the battery, and I agree that it's more likely to be fuel related rather than spark, but I've no idea what you can do next.

Do you have an OBD reader ?

freddofrog said:
yeah it doesn't seem like the battery, and I agree that it's more likely to be fuel related rather than spark, but I've no idea what you can do next.

Do you have an OBD reader ?
I plugged the laptop in last night and there are no codes. I haven't tried the car again yet but will tomorrow as I'm off work.

Are the relays in the handbook, I've not checked yet, so I can locate them? As it did start hopefully it's not the pump and the I doubt it's the filter, which isn't serviceable anyway. All I can think of is the fuel pump and main relay or a faulty fuel cut off switch, if it wasn't just a blockage.

Cliffordski said:
+1 could be coolant temperature sensor
That could be a possibility but I've not had any symptoms that point to it being faulty.

The car started earlier but the 3 yellow lights on the speedo flashed as it started. ABS, VSA and the warning triangle. What does this mean?

The car did start though so I took it out for half an hour and had a good run. It is driving as normal, so when I got home I turned it off, waited 5 minutes and it restarted ok with no lights. I'll try again tomorrow to see if the lights flash when I start it from cold.

I think the aux belt might be a little noisy as well, I'm sure it was quieter.

I'm still having issues!

I changed the battery for a genuine Honda one a couple of weeks a go and the car had been fine, although I felt it took a little longer to start it.

Yesterday it wouldn't start the first time, it was very cold and frosty in the morning. It started the second time and was fine for the rest of the day. Today (frosty again) the car didn't even turn over the first time, then the 3 yellow lights came on (ABS, warning, VSA). The second time there was a clunk and something felt like it was stuck and had freed up, the 3rd time it started.

So I'm now thinking the starter motor might be playing up?

Rich have you put the car on a HSS for a full health check.
This might bring up some fault codes that only the genuin equipment can give you

Not since I first got the car and met up with Fahad. What kind of codes do they show that a normal reader won't?

TBH I'm thinking of just taking it to a garage now, it's my daily driver and I need it to be reliable.

Whether this is relevant or not I don't know but thought to mention it after investigating an intermittent starting issue for my old man on his 20yr old VW Polo. Oxidised fuses/contacts. Cleaned them all up with a light abrasive, switch cleaner and no issues since. The FB on the Polo is inside under the steering wheel, not sure why they got this way maybe some extra moisture due to lack of use causes it. Got me thinking then reading through this thread and thought to mention it. Sometimes the simplest things give us the most headache to find and we can get bogged down in thinking engine electronics.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've taken the car to a garage to try and get to the bottom of it as it's getting worse. I'm still thinking it's the starter but I should know for definite tomorrow - hopefully.

Starter motor almost certainly or possibly the starter ring starting to detatch from the flywheel. I would do starter motor first.

^ thats my thoughts too. Maybe a dodgy solenoid. I would also want to check the alternator for charging and continuity between starter and ground and check signal too.

-Rich- said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've taken the car to a garage to try and get to the bottom of it as it's getting worse. I'm still thinking it's the starter but I should know for definite tomorrow - hopefully.
How did you get on at the garage? did they find the problem? resolved?

I would second the starter motor that noise is normally when the motor starts to break down as an emergency the offending obstruction can be removed and starter motor cleaned and used until replacement which i had to do as they gave me wrong starter motor in the end i got rid of car before i replaced starter.

ScoobyDoo said:
How did you get on at the garage? did they find the problem? resolved?
I have just got back from picking it up, they've done a few other jobs on it too. It was the starter motor and I've had it replaced with another Honda one, not cheap but if the original lasted 13 years this one should too. As it's located behind the manifold it's not a job you want to do twice if a pattern part fails in a couple of years.

Great stuff at least it's sorted now. I presume it's charging ok, so you should be set with new battery too.

-Rich- said:
I have just got back from picking it up, they've done a few other jobs on it too. It was the starter motor and I've had it replaced with another Honda one, not cheap but if the original lasted 13 years this one should too. As it's located behind the manifold it's not a job you want to do twice if a pattern part fails in a couple of years.
Excellent, shall keep an eye on this in case I have similar issues with mine.

Salim said:
Great stuff at least it's sorted now. I presume it's charging ok, so you should be set with new battery too.
Yes they tested the whole system and it's ok, so fingers crossed that's sorted it :)