What's new

Starting issues...

riot68

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 type s tourer
Have been having a couple of issues with starting the car, had battery checked and then changed the battery but fault still there.

It looks like the accessory belt is a little frayed...

652705f51431184f704be5ee8d86065a1e108150_wmeg.jpg

a24af733e6f67a6d365bb90cefd1ea1bac093f4f_wmeg.jpg

Could this be causing the issue?

When I filled up the washer bottle today the wind blew a load over the belt and wheels etc, then when I tried to start the car it took a while for it to start, seems to be struggling, could this be making the belt slip?

Sorry if it's a bit basic and vague, don't know how best to describe it. only other time it did this was when it was really cold. thanks for reading...

Have been having a couple of issues with starting the car, had battery checked and then changed the battery but fault still there.

Sorry if it's a bit basic and vague, don't know how best to describe it. only other time it did this was when it was really cold. thanks for reading...

I promise, I'm not stalking your posts :lol:

But, the belt has little to do with the starting of the car. The starter motor connects onto the flywheel and it's from here where the engine is cranked (started). My brother has a 2.4 Exec and he had to replace the starter on his at 80k miles, but the starter was sounding weaker and weaker by the day until it failed. However, speaking to the Honda dealership they hadn't replaced a starter motor before in an Accord and evening ordering one from Honda Europe took time as they are considered a reliable part.

FWIW - I find that sometimes in cold weather that the car can struggle to start. It seems quite a long bit of cranking before it finally turns but it always does.

In terms of the belt, I'm looking at replacing mine at it has a rust stain on half-of it and also I spotted a few rouge threads hanging out if it. Additionally, the tensioner is at it's limit.

What mileage is on yours? Mine has 68K.

What mileage is on your tourer?

Hey fella, no issue with the stalking, just glad of the replies and help, very much appreciated.

Car has bout 87k on, same deal with starting, seems to take a while but always does execpt today and about a month ago, not helped at all by the new battery.

Today and before struggled but i gave it a bit of trottle and kept turning it over and it kicks in, sounds like it's nearly there for a while then it starts, any ideas?

Will maybe take it to the garage and have them check it over plus check the alt belt too, they used to be Handa dealers now indie specialiising in Jap cars so know there stuff, in fact might give them a call and see what they say.

thanks again...

Delighted to share the experiences.

Today and before struggled but i gave it a bit of trottle and kept turning it over and it kicks in, sounds like it's nearly there for a while then it starts, any ideas?

Re the starting issue, when you say is struggled, did the starter struggle to crank the car i.e. did it sound like the starter was fading or weaker? Or was that it simply took longer to actually start? That is, did the starter hold a constant crank, but the engine didn't start?

If the crank-speed is constant and normal, but the engine doesn't start, it could be spark, fuel, air, etc.

Delighted to share the experiences.

Re the starting issue, when you say is struggled, did the starter struggle to crank the car i.e. did it sound like the starter was fading or weaker? Or was that it simply took longer to actually start? That is, did the starter hold a constant crank, but the engine didn't start?

If the crank-speed is constant and normal, but the engine doesn't start, it could be spark, fuel, air, etc.

I can't quite remember but I'm sure the crank was ok, as soon as I gave the pedal a little push it seemed to kick in ok, only just had a service October time. The 2 times it's happened it's been stood for a few days, 1st time very cold, 2nd just been washed.

Just looked through my service history...

Jan 09 - 53k
oil
plugs
air
and had brake fluid, gearbox oil and coolant changed

Sept 09 - 61k
oil only

Aug 10 - 71k
oil only

Sept 11 - 82k
oil
air

So think I should stick some new sparks in there?

I can't quite remember but I'm sure the crank was ok, as soon as I gave the pedal a little push it seemed to kick in ok, only just had a service October time. The 2 times it's happened it's been stood for a few days, 1st time very cold, 2nd just been washed.

Just looked through my service history...

Jan 09 - 53k
oil
plugs
air
and had brake fluid, gearbox oil and coolant changed

Sept 09 - 61k
oil only

Aug 10 - 71k
oil only

Sept 11 - 82k
oil
air

So think I should stick some new sparks in there?
You cant go wrong with new spark plugs as i think they should be changed around every 40k.Also one to check is your Valve clearance as this is around the 70-80k mark.There is a good DIY on hear from Cliff

About a year ago, my Honda Garage told me my Starter motor could have 18 months left in it, but expect it go any time between then and now. They said, though, it's worth replacing the battery if it's a little slow to turn over and start up. However, as you've said you've changed the battery.

I didn't get the impression from my dealership that the Starter Motor was a reliable part. I got the impression that they expect them to go (especially on the 2.4) after 7 years or so. I'd doubt the accessory belt has anything to do with it, but I'd get that sorted anyway dude. I think you could be looking at a new starter motor, but before you go spending money, rule out some of the cheaper alternatives, like fuel filter, spark plugs etc.

Ok will change the sparks first off, get the belt done soon & pray It's not the starter motor.

As for the fuel filter, no IME knows how to change it, not even Honda dealer, think it's part of the tank etc....

Not sure but I'm ***uming this car has an idle control valve. If so then it could be a dirty or stIcking IAC Valve. When you press the throttle you are then letting in air into the intake. Could be totally wrong though but worth looking into. It could be the IAC valve could be restricting air when it's stuck shut or blocked? Have you noticed any dip in idle speed when you let it idle?

spark plugs need to be changed every 75k miles and you need NGK Iridium - plenty on the net...

Have noticed a slighty rough idle, not a dip & very very slight. You know where you can just feel the engine through the gear stick when sat at lights. Only just & not always, this car is usually so smooth & quiet. Will change sparks asap...

As for the fuel filter, no IME knows how to change it, not even Honda dealer, think it's part of the tank etc....
There's a DIY on here for this, but I'd start with the simple things first.... like sparks

Have noticed a slighty rough idle, not a dip & very very slight. You know where you can just feel the engine through the gear stick when sat at lights. Only just & not always, this car is usually so smooth & quiet. Will change sparks asap...

If you getting a rough idle then there definately something not right with the combustion cycle. Now it could be the spark, coils, Idle Air Control Valve, fuel-pump, etc....

But again, I'd start with the simple things like sparks. As J4JAV said, they could be every 75K, but that ***umes that the correct spark plug (long life Iridium) was used in the first place ;)

If it's only rough after a few days of sitting idle, then it could be something like a sticking IACV or similar.

Sparks and some injector cleaner ordered, will see what that does then take it from there, will book in for the belt change soon so any left over issues i'll get them to check it over.

As for thr fuel filter DIY, images aren't working so not going to attempt myself...

Sparks and some injector cleaner ordered, will see what that does then take it from there, will book in for the belt change soon so any left over issues i'll get them to check it over.

As for thr fuel filter DIY, images aren't working so not going to attempt myself...

Well a good start is the sparks.

If you want to wait a few days, I've order a new drive belt and I'll make a DIY of it for you. (it's pretty straightforward).

I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel pump just yet - really start simple. I ***ume you've no EML light on the dash ?

Well a good start is the sparks.

If you want to wait a few days, I've order a new drive belt and I'll make a DIY of it for you. (it's pretty straightforward).

I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel pump just yet - really start simple. I ***ume you've no EML light on the dash ?

Superb, that would be great, need to save money at the mo or no tax for Mr2 :(

No lights on the dash, as for fuel pump, was the filter I was worried about, it's never been done as they couldn't work it out...

Oh and yeah the idle is only just noticeable rough and not all the time, usually you can't feel a thing with your hand on the gear stick when it's sat at lights, however a few times recently i've been able to feel a very slight roughness. Not as bad as older/cheaper cars I've had, it is only very slight...

My brothers Civic use to idle quite rough, I took aprt the intake and cleaned all components. Ever since then it has idled smoothly.
However I knew it was idle valve to blame as I went through a big elimination process

Can I ask would the fuel have anything to do with it struggling to start? Like Unleaded which isn't 99 RON with this car??

nor sure really, will play a slight factor but not heard of this before or experienced it myself

My brothers Civic use to idle quite rough, I took aprt the intake and cleaned all components. Ever since then it has idled smoothly.
However I knew it was idle valve to blame as I went through a big elimination process

Yeah, the IACV was a common fault on Honda's apparently, but I think it normally manifested itself as a over-revving idle or a non-steady one rather that rought idle, but then again if it didn't open, I suppose it could starve the engine of Oxygen and give a rough idle.

Can I ask would the fuel have anything to do with it struggling to start? Like Unleaded which isn't 99 RON with this car??

Isn't Unleaded RON 95 which is the recommended for our 2.4's. If you've used a lower Octane such a 92 (don't think it's available in the UK) then you could have problems. 99 RON is better, and the engine timing will adjust for it too.

Yeah, the IACV was a common fault on Honda's apparently, but I think it normally manifested itself as a over-revving idle or a non-steady one rather that rought idle, but then again if it didn't open, I suppose it could starve the engine of Oxygen and give a rough idle.

Isn't Unleaded RON 95 which is the recommended for our 2.4's. If you've used a lower Octane such a 92 (don't think it's available in the UK) then you could have problems. 99 RON is better, and the engine timing will adjust for it too.

Thanks, thats helped me out. Mine dont like the cold .... fact! :lol:

Mines been fine now using every day again, always cranks about 3 times before it starts but has been like that since I've had it. Anyway new sparks and injector cleaner on the way so will report back soon. Now to try and figure out how to change the fuel filter...

Sparks in and all seems to be well :D ...

That's great news!

BTW - I haven't forgotten about the DIY on the belt. I am still waiting for it to arrive!

No worries chap, think I'm going to leave it as garage say it looks fine and I've decided to sell the car...

No worries chap, think I'm going to leave it as garage say it looks fine and I've decided to sell the car...

Well the DIY is up now anyway.

You've enough of the Accord then?

Well the DIY is up now anyway.

You've enough of the Accord then?

Cool, as for the car, kind off, am enjoying tinkering with the MR2 and fancy another little project, old Civic or something, frees up the money then for both projects and I don't have the headache of keeping on top off looking after a nice shiny big car, great that it is I don't have the time to do it justice anymore...