What's new

Starting problems

marslee

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Accord 2.4 Auto
Hi all, I understand that this is not an issue with my accord but I do have a problem with the wife's crv which shares the same ctdi engine as the accord. It was serviced by Honda 4 months ago and around 2 weeks ago developed an issue where the car will turn over but not fire. It is ver random, sometimes after 3 tries and sometimes after 7 attempts. I have tried both keys, and have now taken it to Honda in fleet. In the first time of taking it in, they gave it back the next day saying no fault found. Next day, same thing- engine turning but not firing. Managed to get it back to them, and they have tried the ignition relay and now the main engine relay , but same issue is still there. Any ideas people, as I feel the garage are clutching at straws!

my 1st fault is get the battery checked for output.
what is the mileage of the car.
also have a good search in diesel faults as i think this has been covered.
another thing to look at if ff

When it doesn't fire, have you noticed if the immobiliser key symbol flashes? It could be an imo related issue.

If it was an Accord I would agree with Brett:

Slightly weak battery cell (very common on ICTDI when starting problems occur)
Fuel Filter
Possible Glow Plug failure or Relay problem
(maybe) bad injector.

The only other thing I would check is the Air Flow Sensor, but if this was failing there would be other symptoms too when driving the car.

Hi all, I understand that this is not an issue with my accord but I do have a problem with the wife's crv which shares the same ctdi engine as the accord. It was serviced by Honda 4 months ago and around 2 weeks ago developed an issue where the car will turn over but not fire. It is ver random, sometimes after 3 tries and sometimes after 7 attempts. I have tried both keys, and have now taken it to Honda in fleet. In the first time of taking it in, they gave it back the next day saying no fault found. Next day, same thing- engine turning but not firing. Managed to get it back to them, and they have tried the ignition relay and now the main engine relay , but same issue is still there. Any ideas people, as I feel the garage are clutching at straws!
First things first, never, NEVER go to Honda in Fleet!!!!! They are a bunch of cowboys! Get it to Yeomans Honda in Guildford, they'll take care of your motor.

Flywheel sensor? Maybe. Had something similar on a past 306. Sometimes it would start first time and then not at all.

Hi all, thanks for the replys, the car has only 30000 on the clock. As for the imobilser, that's what I thought it could be, but on the crv there is no key symbol like the accord. I really do not have any faith in them to be honest, and the wife is unimpressed. I would have thought that after plugging into the ecu, they would have some sort of idea. What I don't appreciate is the service desk bloke trying to be funny by telling me it's terminal !

Hi all, thanks for the replys, the car has only 30000 on the clock. As for the imobilser, that's what I thought it could be, but on the crv there is no key symbol like the accord. I really do not have any faith in them to be honest, and the wife is unimpressed. I would have thought that after plugging into the ecu, they would have some sort of idea. What I don't appreciate is the service desk bloke trying to be funny by telling me it's terminal !

In relation to the immobiliser suggestion, I take it you have taken the key completely out of the ignition before re-trying.

Is the engine turning over OK otherwise, just not starting and is there any attempt to actually start?
Are all normal lights coming on when they should?

Hi cjm, I've tried both keys, taken the key out, tried different lengths of time in between firing the engine etc, still the same. The engine will happily turn over for as long as you want, just will not fire. The last time it happened it took 7 attempts to get it to start, drive it no problem to the garage, went back out to move it, would not start. So hot or cold it does not matter. All the dash lights are ok, sat nab boots up etc. I have read on some U.S. Forums that this is reasonably common, but nobody seems to have any answers how to fix it. I will give them tomorrow then I will relay the info to Honda uk. They must have a database they can look at?

Hi cjm, I've tried both keys, taken the key out, tried different lengths of time in between firing the engine etc, still the same. The engine will happily turn over for as long as you want, just will not fire. The last time it happened it took 7 attempts to get it to start, drive it no problem to the garage, went back out to move it, would not start. So hot or cold it does not matter. All the dash lights are ok, sat nab boots up etc. I have read on some U.S. Forums that this is reasonably common, but nobody seems to have any answers how to fix it. I will give them tomorrow then I will relay the info to Honda uk. They must have a database they can look at?

OK here's ***uming that Fleet have run checks for any codes for engine management / fuel system and not come up with any.

As the guys have suggested it could well be fuel filter related such as a clogged fuel filter or line. It maybe that somehow the filter has not been replaced at the regular service intervals or it could just need bleeding, although from the amount of attempts I would favour the fuel filter replacement. One thing to try next time it happens is to pump the priming bulb until it is hard, there should be instructions in the handbook, but I would imagine it would be in a similar place to the Accord on the bulkhead. If it happens to start the next time, then it will be indicative of a fuel fault. Also if it is a fuel filter issue, you may have noticed some hesitation at sporadic moments. It is also worth checking the fuel line from the pump to the filter, check there are no leaks and also check the pipes are on firmly and clipped to ensure no air is getting in.

As it is intermittent it could be a loose connection, but with that amount of false starts I would have thought a trouble code and MIL light may have appeared. But always worth just checking over the connections.

As also suggested the battery strength can cause issues, even when all seems well when the battery is checked, there are various threads within the forum and I would suspect it could be a similar issue on the CRV

One other thing to try would be to identify the fuse that controls the ECU, in the Accord it is in the fuse box under the bonnet, again it should be identified in the CRV handbook, pull the fuse for a couple of minutes and then replace and start, it may point to something that is being prevented by the ECU, which of course would require further investigation with a proper HDS at the dealers. Perhaps go with Krasimir's recommendation on an alternative dealer.

Do we have a stop solenoid on our engines?

If so, could that be sticking?

Seen this on a Mitsubishi recently - although it was sticking open (poor sod had an automatic which meant he had a hell of a time stopping the engine :lol:).

Hi all, spoke to the garage today and they tell me they have only spent 1hr labour on this. They have no fault codes to go on, so they have changed the ignition relay, main engine relay and the fuel pump relay. They are now saying that they are going to check all the pins on the ecu connectors to see if any are bent. Now bearing in mind I have over 20 years engineering experience in telecoms, saying they are checking for bent pins AFTER they have removed and replaced the ecu cable would say that they are not sure, but they may have bent the pins putting it back. If the pins are bent, it would have shown up way before this.they have dismised the battery idea and don't believe it is anything to do with immobiliser,that's why they asked for both keys. Tbh I'm just annoyed that they have had the car for 4 days and only spent 1 hour working on it!!!

Another chap had intermittent starting problems on the accord that required a new ecu I think becuase of the immobiliser, or could be a faulty ignition switch.