What's new

Steel Wheel Help

jakey.goodman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport GT
Help! I have just put a set of steel wheels on my Accord (have bought a set to put winter tyres on, but thought I may as well use the tyres up 1st and save my alloys!), and the appear to be rubbing against the caliper?! It's a Sport GT and the steel wheels are from a new shape Civic- are they a difference size?

Cheers
Jake

are the steelies 15's? if so then they wont fit the Diesel and the 2.4 as they have the 300mm front brakes.
15" only fits the 2.0 petrol.

^^ bang on, you need minimum 16" and ET55 to clear the 300mm front caliper on an Accord.

^^ bang on, you need minimum 16" and ET55 to clear the 300mm front caliper on an Accord.

That's the odd thing, they are 16 inch wheels from the new shape civic (with 205/55/16 tyres). Am fairly certain the are ET55 judging by the Civinfo Wiki.

It's almost as if somthing inside the wheel is catching on the caliper as it turns. I hear rubbing which increases as I speed up, and it has started to score the caliper. I will take the wheel off and check for a rust spot/ badly placed balance on the wheel- only thing I can think of unless anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.J

in that case just check there are no high spots on wheel balancing weights on the inner diameter of the rim. some cowboy technician double them up rather than using the correct weight.

Thanks for that, it all seems OK though. Very odd.

Could it be anything to do with having a Sport GT? I know there is a small difference in suspension?

J

If you can get some pictures or if possible or if you can jack the wheel up rotate it and then catch where this highspot is.. otherwise its a guessing game I am afraid.

suspension got nothing to do with it bud.

Thanks Pepster, pcitures are as follows

Picture of the hub itself

2011-08-07%25252018.31.52.jpg

Picture of the rubbing on the steel wheel

2011-08-07%25252018.31.35.jpg

Picture to confirm the steel wheels are ET55

2011-08-07%25252018.31.18.jpg

Finaly, the damage to the caliper :(

2011-08-07%25252018.31.03.jpg

Thanks for all your help.
Jake

uum very intreseyting indeed ..it clear to see the accord caliper is fatter and the civic caliper would be slimmer there is no outer resistance its inner where the vent holes are.

I wont use them bud it will grind those caliper .. you may have to use a 16" alloy as I have just checked the official steel rims for the accord came on the 2.0 cars part number 42700SEAJ01 the are 15x 6JJ.

OK, that does make a lot of sense. Nevermind, I have put the alloys back on and will just have to sell the steel wheels on to a civic owner!

Many thanks for all your help- very much appreciated.

J

They seem to just rub a little bid so I think some spacers should do the trick!

Sorry, getting back to this- can I safely use 3mm non hubcentric spacers? Should give just enough clearence...

Jake