What's new

Strange Sensation Of Pitching/Hesitation

GraphiteGrey

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 Type-S
Hi - need some ideas here please - my Type-S (which I have sat in for seven years and 127,000 miles!) has started to feel a bit.... odd. It's tough to describe, but I'll have to try:

1. I get a sensation of either hesitation or pitching front/rear on light throttle - it's really tough to tell which as it's very subtle - imagine momentarily cutting the power so the front drops, followed a split second later by power on again and the front of the car rising back up.
  2. I also get some odd lurching when on lock - noticeable exiting roundabouts sometimes
  3. Finally I think that cornering on rough surfaces is worse - again so subtle it's hard to be sure

So... my mind goes to 1) shocks and 2) driveshafts - however from the posts here, the driveshaft issues seem more obvious and repeatable. Should add that the car passed MOT in Feb without comment.

Anyone got any other ideas? This is driving me nuts - I really enjoy the car still but it's just not 100% at the moment - any help appreciated!

I have been in a car like this that you describe, can I ask if it's had a knock at all?

Have you changed the sway bar links at all?

I've had that in a non-Honda, the front tyres starting wearing on the outside edge after a while as well. Never found out what it was.

Hi Guys,

I wanna bump this thread as I've decided I definitely do have this same problem. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it, but the car isn't 100%. I have all three symptoms as described in the first post and like the first post, they are as slight as can be. It's taken me a few week to accept that there is a problem.

Here's what I know of potential contributors to the issue:

1: Linkages and Bushings on front and back roll bars are all being replaced at the end of the month as they have play in them <_< .

2: To avoid a head-on collision in December, I was forced into the curb at 40MPH, suffered a loud knock and an instant blow-out on the tyre. I thought the car was ok, but this issue has been niggling me since this incident.

I don't think there was any issue before the blown tyre incident. So I'm willing to guess that something's been damaged here.

Anyway, like I said, the Car's going over to Honda at the end of the month for the roll bar stuff and it's annual service, but it would be nice to go armed with some info on what it would likely be be.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Steve

2: To avoid a head-on collision in December, I was forced into the curb at 40MPH, suffered a loud knock and an instant blow-out on the tyre. I thought the car was ok, but this issue has been niggling me since this incident.

I don't think there was any issue before the blown tyre incident. So I'm willing to guess that something's been damaged here.

Anyway, like I said, the Car's going over to Honda at the end of the month for the roll bar stuff and it's annual service, but it would be nice to go armed with some info on what it would likely be be.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'd imagine if you hit the kerb at that speed, you knocked out the suspension geometry or bend something like a wishbone or something. There's a lot of energy in a car doing 40 mph.

Either way, I'd get the alignment, camber, toe, etc check. A proper 4 wheel laser alignment setup should be able to record the configuration of the car and report and mis-alignment.

FWIW - the Accord is pretty unforgiving when it comes to a misaligned suspension system, it can really make a difference to the whole car.

Thanks for the advice man. I've heard a fair amount about the sensitivity of the car in that respect. I'll see what Honda say. It's in week after next. If it is wishbone, or part of the suspension it's likely to be pretty expensive ain't it... :(