What's new

Strange tourer tailgate problem

bananahead

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.2 Tourer
Hi everyone. I've got a really strange thing going on. I know there are lots of tailgate thread out there and I've trawled the net looking for clues etc to no avail.

I've had intermittent issues with the warning light coming on telling me the tailgate is open. I once concluded that it was because external handle was stuck "open" after someone used it and another time I found I'd shut the tailgate on a rag. Another time I thought I'd fixed with wd40 but no.

The tailgate now thinks it is open when it is not. Untill you turn on the sidelights/headlights. When you do this the whole thing operates as normal. Turn them off and it might be ok for a minute, or a second but ultimately goes bad again. It's a bit of a pain really now as it's more often than not "confused" and I can't just leave sidelights on permanently unless I want a flat battery.

Any ideas?

This is likely to be a broken/damaged wire where the tailgate loom is subject to movement as the tailgate opens/closes. If you're lucky you may find a bad earth connection somewhere in the tailgate, but my money is on loom damage.

Jon_G said:
This is likely to be a broken/damaged wire where the tailgate loom is subject to movement as the tailgate opens/closes. If you're lucky you may find a bad earth connection somewhere in the tailgate, but my money is on loom damage.
+1

I'd considered loom damage. That would make perfect sense apart from the fact turning sidelights on makes the whole system behave/operate perfectly. Turning them off again sometimes fixes it for a while sometimes goes broken instantly again. I'm thinking bad earth. Does anyone know where the likely earth point could be?

Ah I've read that before, and replied. This tailgate thing is ongoing for me it seems. I'm leaning towards broken wiring now as it seems so common. Still can't see how turning lights on makes everything normal again though. I hate messing with cars nowadays and electrics are horrible :(

Many cars are switched earth not switched live.

I'm not even gonna try get my head around that and how the lights are making the tailgate work. I'll just do what you said and look for the black wire.

Last night I had to use the button on drivers door to lock all locks then use key in driver door as lock button on fob wouldn't lock car.

Went out today and car is working normally again. I didn't even open boot I just locked it (with fob) and came back inside.

Sounds like a classic case of a bad electrical connection.
Fire up the multimeter and get testing! Make sure to test all the wire as they flex not just from terminal to terminal, a bed of nails tester is a very handy item for this kind of fault.

You need to check wiring loom, lights are connected to this let me know model if you want any info.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

Hi guys.

Last Tuesday I went out to it and battery was dead so I brought it in to charge it. Unfortunately I lifted it wrong and as a consequence I've been in bed 99% of the time since with my back. When I can walk again and have a look I will update this thread. Thanks for advice so far guys but no progress on this so far lol!

Ouch! hope you feel better soon mate.

Thanks Steve. I didn't post for sympathy, I just don't want to be that guy who goes on forum, let's people advise then disappears presumably with a cure without so much as saying thanks. Seen that happen so many times.

honda_saj said:
You need to check wiring loom, lights are connected to this let me know model if you want any info.

Great member .. took the time to talk to me on the phone, and his advice was spot on. Cheers Saj

Hi. After the thing with my back I spent a couple of months disconnecting the battery when not in use. It even drained overnight when left unlocked so wasn't the alarm. Anyway all this time the light stayed out. Anyway a week or two ago I left it connected and locked car as normal. Next day car starts fine so I left it all as normal. Still the car works fine, no warning light with sidelights on or off and no battery drain. I'm sure it will come back, maybe not but until then nothing to report I'm afraid. Weird.

Hi Honda Saj

I have the exact same problems as previously talked about in that the tailgate says its open intermittently then once the lights are turned on the fault goes away. Any advice on how to try and rectify this problem would be greatly received.

Many thanks

Find and repair broken wires in loom by hinges