What's new

Strong diesel fumes around car

johnnytoxic

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I recently had my EGR pipe replaced as I thought it was this causing the problem.

I still get strong fumes around the sides of the car.

Additionally it does take a while for the engine to warm having to really rev it on a longish journey to bring the temperature up, if I put the heaters on the engine temperature drops. Is this normal?

I'm wondering whether this is the EGR pipe still? Any ideas?

Last edited:
From the inside or outside of the car? Is the smell quite noxious? Strong possibility your dpf has been removed but also the cat removed by mistake, I’ve seen this many times.

did you check if the egr pipe was cracked before removing? Does the car emit any smoke on idle or acceleration? Any other signs?

My 8th Gen periodically made some unpleasant smells. I kept looking for a binding brake or a plastic bag stuck to the exhaust. My Golf produces the same aroma, only with the VW I'm 99% sure when it is and isn't doing a DPF regen (it sits at higher idle RPM) and am pretty sure that's the cause of the smell in both cases.

As for taking a while to warm up, mine took several miles in winter. Those were the times I missed heated seats... The needle never budged from a little under half way up the dial though -come rain or shine, heaters or none.

Pretty much the exact same as mine. I've no dpf but still have cat Fahads mechanic confirmed this.
I've noticed the strong smell outside the car from the back of the exhaust which goes away when at full temp. Notice it when scraping ice in the mornings.
Also notice car takes an absolute age to warm up and if putting heaters on it will never get to the 78 degrees operating temp unless on motorway for a good 20-30 mins but only if booting it a bit. It'll take over an hour of city driving with heater on to get to 78 degrees I've monitored the behaviour in various conditions with torque pro app.
I've ruled out thermostat by replacing it and settled on its just the way the car is.
The split egr pipe issue you will definitely smell fumes coming through vents in the car as i had this until honda replaced pipe and then shortly after got it blocked off and remap by Fahad.

Ive installed a partial grill block for when it's under 10 degrees in the winter which helps engine heat up slightly quicker but still the problem remains as soon as heating is put on it slows down warm up substantially it really is annoying. Heated seats actually make the air feel colder out of the vents i feel as your back is toastie. I'm looking into possibility of maybe insulating the coolant pipes going to the heater core hoping the engine will continue to warm up when using the heater until the thermostat kicks in as in the winter im finding the thermostat is 90 percent of the time when driving staying closed and never activated on shorter journeys

P.s don't waste your money on those 150watt car heaters that plug into the *** socket they are absolute useless

From the inside or outside of the car? Is the smell quite noxious? Strong possibility your dpf has been removed but also the cat removed by mistake, I’ve seen this many times.

did you check if the egr pipe was cracked before removing? Does the car emit any smoke on idle or acceleration? Any other signs?

Forget what I said earlier, the smell is also very strong even when the engine is warm.
So the engine time to warm up is probably normal. I'm used to a petrol that gets warm very quickly.

We saw the EGR pipe was welded when it was removed and replaced. I've got it booked get all the service parts done, oil filter and all.