What's new

Strut top bushes - metal sleeve rusted on

Hengist

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.0 Exec
Went to change my front strut top bushes at the weekend, and discovered that on both sides the metal sleeve that goes through the middle of the two rubber bushes (# 16 in below Lings pic) appear to have rusted solid onto the spindle (i.e. the top bit of the shocker).

Also, #10 - the metal plate - is either rusted onto the metal dust cover piece #13, or it's not there.

I had to put the car back together to use, so liberally greased around the rubber bushes where they contact the metal sleeve and lower metal plate (#10).

So - looking for advice. Does it matter that the metal sleeves are rusted on, or should I take it all apart again and attempt to remove them and replace with the new ones that came with the bushing kit?

I'm thinking that the strut-top spindle should probably move freely inside the sleeve, but would it make that much difference? My handling is improved as it is now, but still not perfect.

I'd the same problem when changing my shocks, the sleeve was completely rusted onto the top of the OEM shock. The solution was to remove the all the bits of the shock and if you look at the sleeve you'll see it's just a bit of folded metal with a seam along the length of it. Using a screw-driver I drove (c/o hammer) it into the seam and then twisted it. The sleeve bent open and some penetrating spray later it was off.

To re-fit, I just used a vice to fold it back into shape and let it soak in the penetrating fluid for about 20 minutes. A clean and some copper grease on the inside and it was re-fitted no problem.

Hengist said:
I'm thinking that the strut-top spindle should probably move freely inside the sleeve, but would it make that much difference? My handling is improved as it is now, but still not perfect.
Oops - I forgot to answer this.

Won't make a massive difference to the set-up as the suspension doesn't rotate on this in any way (bar initial fitting). When replacing shocks, I ***ume that the suspension was fully loaded prior to tightening up?

Thanks.

Aye, I could see the sleeve was a folded piece of metal but didn't want to try and force it off in case the rust was holding everything together!

I'll pull the shocks off again at the weekend (weather allowing) and get the sleeves removed. The new bushes I got have replacement sleeves with them anyway, and I also have a length of steel tube of the correct ID which I got to replace the rear sleeves on my Prelude (as standard, they're a few mm too long which causes "shock knock" clattering noises.

As far as susp being fully loaded, not having a ramp it's not the easiest thing to do. My best effort is to jack the hub right up (with the wheel off)before tightening the control arm bolt and pinch bolt, then lower the car to the ground and do up the strut-top nuts after that. Seems to work.

Thanks.

Aye, I could see the sleeve was a folded piece of metal but didn't want to try and force it off in case the rust was holding everything together!

I'll pull the shocks off again at the weekend (weather allowing) and get the sleeves removed. The new bushes I got have replacement sleeves with them anyway, and I also have a length of steel tube of the correct ID which I got to replace the rear sleeves on my Prelude (as standard, they're a few mm too long which causes "shock knock" clattering noises.

As far as susp being fully loaded, not having a ramp it's not the easiest thing to do. My best effort is to jack the hub right up (with the wheel off)before tightening the control arm bolt and pinch bolt, then lower the car to the ground (wheel back on ;)) and fully tighten the strut-top nuts after that. Seems to work.

To load the suspension, I just just the jack and the axle stands. Jack up the front and place the axle stands under both lower control arms, lower the car until the load is just off the jack on the stands. Tighten up - be careful the car doesn't move! It probably helps that I've two sets of stands, one for the car and the other to load the suspension, just in case.