What's new

Sudden increase in fuel consumption

jgobin

Reaction score
Car
Est 2.2 Diesel 2006
Hi Guys, First post, Can anyone help?

I've had my 2006 2.2 cdti tourer for 2 years (90k miles) and have always got around 46-48 mpg.

Just recently it has dropped to 40 mpg.

I presume it may be a sensor fail, but no lights are lit on the dashboard.

I have looked on the forums for a similar thread but to no avail, any ideas?

Thanks guys.

John

Welcome John,

It's quite possibly down to the cold weather - this has a dramatic effect on economy, especially in diesels.

Also, can you smell any fumes in the cabin? your car may have suffered the dreaded cracked manifold. Although this is covered by Honda for 7 years or 125k miles anyway.

Cheers

Fahad

Welcome John,

As Fahad has said.

Also have you had to queue a bit more recently on your way to work.

Unfortunately at this time of year, it is difficult to say whether it could be a sensor or not as there are so many other factors, such as tyre pressures, which drop during the colder weather.

What sort of journey's do you do are they all shortish journeys?

Maybe some seizing calipers? Any of your wheels feeling hot after a drive?

I've just had this very problem. Fuel consumption dropped right off. Car been in today and had rear N/S caliper swapped over and the dreader brake line replaced too. Seems fine now and I can notince a difference already.

Rebuilt genuine caliper £67, Line £25 and garage fitting £65. It will save me that in fuel in the next month!!

Rebuilt genuine caliper £67, Line £25 and garage fitting £65. It will save me that in fuel in the next month!!
Ooh where did you get the caliper from? I've searched the net but can't seem to find a refurbishing place, every website wants me to put in my details saying what parts I'm looking for!

Trev have you rang your local motor factors up? Mine was just over £50 had to do some ringing round though to get it at that price.

No I figured they'd just have blueprint parts? Didn't fancy putting non-Honda calipers on it.

I've just had this very problem. Fuel consumption dropped right off. Car been in today and had rear N/S caliper swapped over and the dreader brake line replaced too. Seems fine now and I can notince a difference already.

I've also noticed a dramatic improvement since having my rear seized calipers replaced. Much improved, also managed to get the honda dealer to replace the caliper for £170 with a genuine part (there was a bit of a discount because they changed the discs and shoes 2 days before and didn't notice a damaged caliper ;)