What's new

Survey: When Do You Change Motor Oil???

NoSoupForYou

Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord CL7
Hello Everyone!

I'd like to get feedback on when you change your motor oil & filter?

Are you a believer in changing it every 10,000 kilometers or do you do it every 6,000 km???

I just left a shop in Italy and they said it was not necessary to change my oil since it has been only 6,000 km. I wanted to insist but they said its a HONDA! Even though its a 2006 with 246k km they said to wait until 10k km.

(Tried searching for an existing thread on this but did not find one)

What say you???

Oil changes are the cheapest way of keeping the moving parts going, If you think you have missed a service interval do it straight away.

With Hondas, whever you can afford it and they will keep your back.

I aim to change the oil and filter every 6k miles but also keep costs down by not using premium brand oils.

Every 6 months.

My mileage is lower than yours but short journeys are worse for the oil than long ones.

2006 Accord ICTDI Owner here.

I do mega miles for my commute (2500 a month) not including social stuff

I have always changed my oil every 6000 miles and have done since I purchased it in 2014.
It has never missed a beat and doesnt burn any oil.

I believe the original oil change interval for the ICTDI was 12k miles I think but due to it being a very sooty engine the oil life dramatically reduces.

I used to use branded oil back when I first got it but I now used triple QX 0w30 which can be had for 100 quid for 20 litres form euro car parts.
Easily does the 3 oil services for the car within the year and works out to be great value.
Thankful the ICTDI doesnt need the Low Saps 0w 30 which more expensive.

It may be different for the petrol model Accords, but the oil in the petrol accords will last longer. 10k mile interval oil changes would be fine for them
Generally the sooner you can change the oil the better.

6k to 8k is an ideal mileage for an oil change on any car
If high performance like an s2000 for example I would change every 6000 miles.

2004 2.0 CM1 Auto
engine oil and filter changed every 2500 miles.ATF replaced every 4k miles.Overkill maybe but ive always been a bit OCD when it comes to servicing.Been driving for 28 years now and never had a mechanical engine or gearbox problem yet.Always done my own so keeping on top of maintainance etc is cheap as no labour.

Once a year, regardless of mileage. The car is 16 years old, I ain't losing sleep if it goes bang one day.

Once a year, 2004 diesel Accord, oil is fully synthetic £30 for 6 litres a5/b5 Ow30. I don't do mega mileage just commuting, engine runs like a peach, approaching 200k.

Engine oil @6k miles IDTEC stage 2
I notice the gearbox is getting a little stiff now and the MTF was replaced at 60k miles now at 130, I will change that as well.

Once a year, 2004 diesel Accord, oil is fully synthetic £30 for 6 litres a5/b5 Ow30. I don't do mega mileage just commuting, engine runs like a peach, approaching 200k.

I think you'll find it's gone up recently. I was quoted just under £55 for the usual last week at my local autofactors.

Thought I'd chime in with my thoughts.....I've recently purchased my 2nd Honda Accord (I couldn't be happier with these cars - my previous one I'd kept for 13 years). This 2.4 2006 model I have owned now for 3 months and I finally got around to changing the oil @102k. The manual states oil changes every 10k, but now that I've experience the difference between the car with 10k old oil and fresh oil.... boy, I cannot believe how light, eager, responsive this car has become with something as simple as an engine oil change. Incredibly noticeable and it genuinely has transformed my car's pull. So....... I'm converted.... every 6k is now what I'll be doing (both oil and filter). PS - I used Honda's Type 2.0 0W-20 Engine Oil and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
I think you'll find it's gone up recently. I was quoted just under £55 for the usual last week at my local autofactors.

Hi, just checked it's £35 delivered to your door for 6 litres, very good quality as well. Been using it for a few years now and no problems.