What's new

TAILGATE DENTS

bobfish45

Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2 estate
On my tourer, there are two dents in the bottom part of the tailgate. As an ex body repairer/sprayer I know how to fix it using traditional methods, but is there an easy way out with heat maybe? It is not accessible from inside the panel though, many thanks.

Heat won’t have any positive impact on metal bodywork, and when you hit the sort of temps you need to make it malleable you’ll have damaged the paint. Try a Paintless dent removal expert maybe

Fahad, thanks for the reply,but I thought everyone knew that the bottom half of the tailgate is plastic! So for all who have one, the bottom half of the tourer tailgate is plastic!!! or at least mine is. So this is why I ask is it possible to persuade the dents out with heat? Seems odd that plastic will hold a dent, but mine does!!!

Sorry Rod I hadn’t realised that, in which case heat would probably work.. can you get any purchase on it from behind at all? Or is it a trim that can be separated from the metal?

Thanks Fahad, no, interestingly there is what must be a strengthening plate inside along the bottom with little or no clearance between. The puzzle is, how the plastic can be dented. I'll let you know if and how I remove them, cheers Rod.

Thanks stellamon, I figured it must be but I don't feel that bad about the dents enough to get into that. If it doesn't come out with heat I'll live with it:)

Just a quick update, heated up the dented area, applied a sucker and pulled until the plastic cooled. The dents have more or less gone. It could be a good tip for anyone with dented bumpers, apply the heat and maintain the original shape 'till the plastic cools. :)