What's new

Tailgate leak

Kaput!

Reaction score
Car
04 accord tourer 2.0
Greetings.
I have recently had condensation issues on my 04 Tourer.I had ***umed that the usual autumn weather with brief cold spells had created the perfect recipe for dampness.Add to this the fact that i have not driven the accord much recently i was shocked to discover i do indeed have a leak.
Strange one though as it is from the tailgate itself.I noticed it purely by chance this morning as it reached its uppermost position.At this point a small amount of water tricked down the left hinge then ran behind the C pillar and dripped out the small vent above the first aid cubby,finally ending up in the left hand pocket.
Clearly water is entering the tailgate and remains in situ until exiting via the route i mentioned.Before i pull everything apart has anyone had the same problem and found the problem and solution? The lower drains are clear so water is almost certainly entering somewhere it shouldn't.
Tailgate is sound with no damage etc
Regards

there was someone on here recently with the same issue, turned out there was a crack in the body sealant under the roof rails

I reasealed both channels in the summer.You can see down the entire length on both sides from rear and both are bone dry and not leaking.The leak is from the tailgate and i finally have time to pull everything apart tomorrow.Thanks anyway
I will share findings as im sure it will help someone further down the line.

I reasealed both channels in the summer.You can see down the entire length on both sides from rear and both are bone dry and not leaking.The leak is from the tailgate and i finally have time to pull everything apart tomorrow.Thanks anyway
I will share findings as im sure it will help someone further down the line.

How did you get on?

I've discovered my boot has a leak. :confused:

Try these two threads, two years on and no further issues. More regular use of car since covid era has also removed any previous condensation issues with my tourer and wifes civic.