What's new

Tappet sound lower driver side

cobanstine

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 53
Hello

My car has recently developed a tappet type of sound, have a listen to the video attached.

http://youtu.be/dqZqI4otID8

The car has been serviced well, genuine parts etc 0w30

Sounds been on and off for about 2 weeks now.

Performance seems normal

Usually noticeable on idle and I think* sound speeds up when i accelerate

Any ideas what this could be?

I'll probably take it in to the garage to have a look later after work

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm not a mechanic but that noise is coming from the side the timing chain and oil pump chain are on. Hope its not but you should get a professional to have a look. There are loads of really experienced guys on this site who would be better placed to advise. Doesn't sound good.

Tbh I thinking the noise is to noisy to be the chain.
As said above the noise seems to be coming lower down on one of those pulleys.
But what ever it is get it looked at straight away.

I checked it a couple of days ago, the car sounds fine. Whatever it is, is intermittent. I've told him to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it comes again. I think it's either the crank pulley or possibly aircon compressor

Thanks for the feed back guys, Yep problems still quite intermittent at the moment.

I have a funny feeling its the crank pulley. Very similar noise to on of my friends 05 diesel. He had to change it and noise was gone.

get second opinion from Honda £80 for diagnostic will save you uncertain expenses.

How much did it cost for your friend to repair?

I'm thinking of just getting rid of it spares/repairs ? Had enough of it

We bought pulley ourself can't remember how much. But just check all uk parts for this. they had genuine parts and we had good price.

Replaced it ourself using pulley removing tool bought from eBay. and using car jack stands to get leverage pivot. there are lots of videos on you tube. I am sure there is one i saw on TA here. Just search ....

Do tell us how you get on with it?

Hey Thanks for your advice

The sound is more consistent now and i'm pretty sure it's the pulley now after listening around, my mechanical skills are pretty novice, so i'll probably ask my mechanic to look at it.

Hello All

Just a update, I can confirm the issue is resolved with replacing the crank shaft pulley sourced from ebay for about £140 with belt. Car sounds and drives perfect now

Nice one Satnam, sorry I missed you the other day

Good result bud glad it's sorted