What's new

Teething problems

wicksee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006 2.2CDTi
Hi guys.
Now that I've had a few days to get to know my car, I've noticed a few things about it that are bothering me a bit.

Firstly, the steering wheel isn't central, the car pulls to the left a bit, and it sometimes pulls to one side under hard braking. Could all these issues be fixed by getting the tracking looked at?

The next thing is what I consider to be "excessive turbo lag". I'll describe it:
2000 rpm, speed steady. Put foot down. Nothing for about 1 second, then the torque comes in and it accelerates.
3000 rpm, as above, but the lag is only about 1/2 second this time.
At 3000 rpm the turbo should be up to speed and I should be "sitting on the turbo"; in other words, putting my foot down should give an instant response. But no, I still get a 1/2 sec delay.
I can also hear a faint turbo whine, which seems to be a little louder on the overrun. I actually like the sound of it, but at the same time it does concern me.

Is this "lag" and whine normal, or do I have a turbo problem, or does this sound more like a fuel filter replacement job? Please say I don't have a turbo problem! It is not smoking at all even when cold.

There are no problems with the torque/power once it gets going, as a matter of fact I am going to have to change my driving style because I have nearly come a cropper a couple of times - it does shift! B)

Cheers.

Hi guys.
Now that I've had a few days to get to know my car, I've noticed a few things about it that are bothering me a bit.

Firstly, the steering wheel isn't central, the car pulls to the left a bit, and it sometimes pulls to one side under hard braking. Could all these issues be fixed by getting the tracking looked at?

The next thing is what I consider to be "excessive turbo lag". I'll describe it:
2000 rpm, speed steady. Put foot down. Nothing for about 1 second, then the torque comes in and it accelerates.
3000 rpm, as above, but the lag is only about 1/2 second this time.
At 3000 rpm the turbo should be up to speed and I should be "sitting on the turbo"; in other words, putting my foot down should give an instant response. But no, I still get a 1/2 sec delay.
I can also hear a faint turbo whine, which seems to be a little louder on the overrun. I actually like the sound of it, but at the same time it does concern me.

Is this "lag" and whine normal, or do I have a turbo problem, or does this sound more like a fuel filter replacement job? Please say I don't have a turbo problem! It is not smoking at all even when cold.

There are no problems with the torque/power once it gets going, as a matter of fact I am going to have to change my driving style because I have nearly come a cropper a couple of times - it does shift! B)

Cheers.

Hi mate as for the car pulling it could de the tracking out have a search there are lots of threads on this.
The lag is normal on these cars most members have had a remap by Fahad and this inproves this greatly again have a search.
Also the turbo whine is normal so nothing to worry about.

Remap and geometry/wheel balance are what spring to mind matey.

At 3000 rpm the turbo should be up to speed and I should be "sitting on the turbo"; in other words, putting my foot down should give an instant response.

A turbo will only be spooling if the load dictates it. You can accelerate all the way to the red line if you want with no turbo pressure.

the lag you feel are normal, as mentioned by brett a remap by our great friend fahad will fix this issue(hopefully gvetting mine done soon)also the turbo whine you hear is normal, i had the same concern buddy with the turbo as i would describe mine as very lively lol, but all normal mate

A turbo will only be spooling if the load dictates it. You can accelerate all the way to the red line if you want with no turbo pressure.

Partly true.

The turbo will be spooling as its programmed to do so by the ECU maps, but the pressure it builds will be dictated by the load.

I wouldn't just remap it mate, get to know it first and once you've serviced it with 0w/30 oil and either changed or are confident the fuel filter is a genuine item that is not too old, then consider the remap.

Turbo whine is not normal but a slight audible whistle is perfectly normal..

Turbo lag is a characteristic of these cars in factory map settings.. there is a big gulp of boost when it comes in but nothing before and nothing much after. Amongst a number of other characteristics, this is eliminated by a quality calibrated remap.

Cheers

Cheers chaps, that puts my mind at rest!
I'll get it serviced soon, including fuel and oil filters and decent 0/30 oil.
The remap will likely follow soon after, as I find the lag a nuisance. You have to anticipate a lot and put your foot down a second before you need the power. Means I have to think more, which I don't like doing, especially in the mornings! :rolleyes:

The turbo will be spooling as its programmed to do so by the ECU maps, but the pressure it builds will be dictated by the load.

Which exact parameter in the ECU controls the spooling of the turbo?