What's new

The 200k club

entwisi

Members
Reaction score
Car
05 Accord
so here's a piccy of my odometer last night... so I finally made it through the 200K barrier this morning on the way to work. later than expected having managed to agree a 1 day work from home deal. MOT tomorrow so lets see how well th eold bus gets on there

20130109_182641.jpg

so, who else?

its actually the 4th car I've taken through the 200k barrier so stands up for Volvo, Saab and Alfa quality as well!

I guess from the rev counter you're a diesel?

How many VSA modulators, exhaust manifolds, clutches and timing chains have you gone through? I've only just passed 80K (having had none of the above), and it would be nice (naive!) to think mega miles were possible without a mega maintenance budget :D

Concrats on this it just shows what these cars can achieve.
Iv got a long way to go yet on mine lol

I guess from the rev counter you're a diesel?

How many VSA modulators, exhaust manifolds, clutches and timing chains have you gone through? I've only just passed 80K (having had none of the above), and it would be nice (naive!) to think mega miles were possible without a mega maintenance budget :D

owned for > 70 K miles since 2010 Jan

VSA - none
exhaust manifolds - none ( not even warranty replacement )
Clutches - still on original although it slips in 3/4th if I give it a full boot and has done for 50K miles now. I still accelerate quickly, just not full bore
timing chains - none

any other major repairs? it had a drive shaft at 130K when I first bought it. the usual vibration like a wheel out of balance - done under warranty

mine gets oil and filters every 12-15K and a quick rub round with an oily cloth. its even on the same fuel filter as when I bought it 3 years ago. ( I must be the bad boy of this place with how I abuse my car!)

its had tyres, brake pads front and rear and a couple of bulbs and if you look I had a mini issue with the tailgate that I fixed myself for no cost.

when I bought it it was a reluctant buy as I just needed a car that worked as my previous car had been rather iffy, the Honda was in the right place at the right time. its not IMHO a brilliant petrolhead drive but it has done exactly what it was bought to do so I can't complain.

Result of the mot is in....

3 bulbs.

That's it... Sodding reputable thing, how am I going to persuade the missus I need a new car if it keeps passing it's mot with no problem

Wow! I've barely hit 70K in mine and had new clutch, need a new exhaust, had an expensive O2 sensor go and had to have the DVDROM drive repaired. Good going man. Change your fuel filter though ;) .

Good to hear results from MOT.

the question is Steve, did you "need" a new clutch or did you fall into the "its slipping it must be worn out mentality"?

I think I've proven that first signs of slippage are not a cue to drive straight to honda for a new clutch, you can't do 50K on a slipping clutch if its genuinely a worn out item, I think its just that the springs are too weak so you can break the lock between the plates. ok you need to pay attention and drive such that the clutch is not slipping its backside off but I certainly dont hang around and it doesn't get in my way so shouldn't for anyone else

No it was thrashed it mate ;) . I went from a super slow car to the 2.4. Was averaging 275-300 mile per tank in the first year of ownership. Spanked it everywhere. Also, I think I was in the habbit of accidentally resting my foot slightly pressing the clutch, which would have just burnt it out. I twigged one day when I tried to use the cruise control for the first time and couldn't. Realised I was slightly pressing the clutch pedal without meaning to. Major facepalm moment. A couple of months later, clutch starts slipping proper bad and it was slipping so badly after a couple more months, that its revs would reach 5K or above (redlines at 7K) before finally latching. It was almost impossible to drive the day before I got it sorted. No surprise I needed the flywheel done too :rolleyes: . Lesson learned. Never rest your foot on the clutch pedal and you don't need to drive everywhere in the sweet torque band :rolleyes: .

that its revs would reach 5K or above (redlines at 7K) before finally latching.

^^^^
you saying you would let it rev higher than it should be for that speed and wait for it to "catch up"? the way I drive it is as soon as its slips I back off a little till it grabs and drives properly. i.e. no slipping if at all possible.

Allowing it to spin up is/was never going to help it....

No it just wouldn't play ball at all. It was gubbed I ***ure you, but I'm quite philosophical about my rather expensive learning experience :rolleyes: . But it was bad, I promise you. Worth the replacement.

I'm getting towards 130k and may have to hold on to my 56-plate until the 200k barrier, so this thread is encouraging!

Mine's on its original chain (bit rattly) and clutch, but has had a new manifold under warranty plus an ABS sensor when the VSA light came on. New rear discs and pads and two new tyres are the only consumables. I do drive like a daisy though, seeing an indicated 58-62mpg depending on the time of year.

One difference is that I do the oil and filter every 10k using the Lubetech EXOL stuff. Just ordered my second 25-litre drum which will get me to 160k and then I'll have a think about whether to carry on or not...

My 2004 derv is just about to hit the 158k miles mark. Not owned mine a year yet but already shoved a fair whack of miles on the ol girl.

The wifes 2007 Accord CDTI has just hit 200k , my old 2004 Accord taxi had done 300k and the engine in that sounded alot quieter than my current 2006 Accord CDTI , I honestly think the engines get quieter / smoother the more miles you run up as long as you keep up with the correct service schedule

Hope my 6th Gen lasts as long as my old Mondeo, 280k when we parted ways, and still going....Just :lol: Engine sounded like a tractor and DMF was shot

Service schedule... priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:

Annoyingly, I've always been a bit precious regarding oil grade and regular changes but have still ended up with noisy timing chains!

whereas its commonly known I use and abuse mine with the very minimum servicing I can get away with and it runs sweet as a nut....

:D

Anyone want to buy a *cough* well looked after reliable tourer? :D

WOW! just read the lack of work yours needed to get to 200,000. I am glad that this is car has been well behaved for you. :lol:

That's some serious miles and it just shows what these cars can achieve

Hi, I have hit 238k, in my 2004 diesel. To date I have changed a peed sensor on the back wheel and the Satnav DVD player. Other than that it has been at home oil changes etc. I have had one problem that went to the garage about 1 month ago and it had a warning light flashing and it was a blocked fuel filter. Cheap fuel gunged up the fuel filter and not enough fuel could get through when it was really cold (diesel does not like cold). I am very happy with the car and get 60mpg from it, ie. I fill up every 8 days at 720 - 760 miles for about 56 litres. Who would not be happy.

I am at roughly 225K in my 2006 accord 2.2 CDTi Tourer
I have had the car for 4 years and have done almost half of that

My clutch is vibrating now and will need attention soon. I needed a new radiator after a leak and new rear brake callipers because they were binding. I have also had a new drive belt.

If I try to accelerate hard, it sometimes just stops accelerating suddenly (which almost feels like breaking), but as long as I don't try to accelerate hard, it still drives lovely.

I will shortly be putting it in for a main dealer service (As I did last year) and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to 300K+

Well lads my vsa light came on a few months back. How long does the extended warranty last on the 7th gen. Only had to replace the clutch in getting done at the min 130k

Mines now on 174k, still drives sweet, no rattles or knocks, had a new clutch fitted at 165k, and that's it. Just contemplating getting a set of Eibachs fitted - anyone know where I can get a set for the ictdi Tourer? Lots of the websites I've visited don't list the diesel Tourer in the fitment guide.