What's new

The Correct Antifreeze/Coolant

ampers

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ex manual
Hi,
On my Accord, 2010 2.0 EX manual saloon I found that the coolant was colored blue, the same as my screen wash.
I checked it's strength and it protects down to approximately -36 degrees C.
Service history of 3 annuals at Chester Honda.
So I questioned both branches of Bristol Honda, and Howards Honda of Weston Super Mare, Parts Depts. and all three said it could/should be Red or Green.
Bristol Honda (Brislington) sold me a 1 litre bottle of "Castrol Radcool" Coolant which is neat and clear, and has a service life of one year.
I've contacted Honda UK but have yet to receive a definitive answer.
However, I have come across the Honda All Season Type 2 on the internet and it appears to be blue, premixed and with a service life of up to 10 years.
.I believe that Honda, worldwide, changed from Green to Blue in 2004.
Any comments please,
Cheers,
Ampers.

Hi mate,

I'm afraid I can't help you on the 'what do honda use as standard' front, but I've always drained out old coolant and replaced it with the red long life stuff whenever I do a service on one of my cars. I'll probably get shot for saying this, but as long as you flush the coolant system and don't mix coolant types, I can't see there being any problems using any of the coolants available provided you stick to the service intervals and correct concentrations ;)

The latest Honda coolant is a bluey/greeny colour. I have a few litres of the stuff left here from a flush. When flushing I just insist on the Honda stuff, I mean it's only €22 for 5 litres.

6th Gen is Honda Type 2 (blue, changed from green as you say) Ethylene Glycol.

Hi,
On my Accord, 2010 2.0 EX manual saloon I found that the coolant was colored blue, the same as my screen wash.
I checked it's strength and it protects down to approximately -36 degrees C.
Service history of 3 annuals at Chester Honda.
So I questioned both branches of Bristol Honda, and Howards Honda of Weston Super Mare, Parts Depts. and all three said it could/should be Red or Green.
Bristol Honda (Brislington) sold me a 1 litre bottle of "Castrol Radcool" Coolant which is neat and clear, and has a service life of one year.
I've contacted Honda UK but have yet to receive a definitive answer.
However, I have come across the Honda All Season Type 2 on the internet and it appears to be blue, premixed and with a service life of up to 10 years.
.I believe that Honda, worldwide, changed from Green to Blue in 2004.
Any comments please,
Cheers,
Ampers.
Bob are you sure it needs changing as in the service book it says 1st coolant change is 6 years I think.
Then every 3 years after.

Avoid silicate-based coolants (usually the cheaper stuff)... phosphate or OAT are OK.

Avoid mixing different types.

Colours are generally meaningless.

Approved coolant is Honda all season type 2, was blue now green in colour.

On the petrol 8th gen Accords, coolant doesn't need to be changed until 120k miles or 10 years whichever comes first.

If you only need to top up a bit, use a bit of tap water, as you already have -36 protection, a cup of water won't make much difference.

Incidentally the level self adjusts to about half way in the expansion tank, I topped mine up to max, after a few days it was back down to half and hasn't budged since.

Other service notes for you Bob,

Brake/clutch fluid every 3 years

Pollen filter - annually or 12500 miles

Manual gearbox fluid - 8yrs or 75k miles

Spark plugs 75k miles

fuel filter - 87500 miles

valve clearances every 62500miles

air filter - every 37500 miles

Thanks for all your replies.
Just to be clear though, the coolant is fine and doesn't need changing, I just wanted some top up just in case.
However, the problem is that Honda dealers don't seem to know and Honda UK still have not given me an answer.
Additionally, Honda UK could not even specify an engine oil, they just referred me to Castrol.
.Cheers,
Ampers