What's new

The dreaded ignition switch

mac5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 SE Executive
Hi chaps,

The old girl is having a bad couple of weeks...

Few niggling issues but this one is by far the most annoying/dangerous.

I have the dreaded ignition switch fail. The car has done it a few times before but I've just left it, now I can't drive it more than 200 yards without it cutting out.

Anyone know a rough idea on cost of replacement for this?

Repair bills are starting to get quite high, and I've had 16,000 miles out of her for very little outlay.

I know where they're is a 2 litre 6th gen breeaking Craig fairly local to you, and I know it was a good runner if thats any help?

Any fellow T.A member that has intermittent problem or its the early stages of ignition switch failure with a 5th or 6th Gen Accord and you can travel to Burton upon Trent or if your within 10-15 mile radius I'm happy to fit a supplied part free of charge.

Note: DIY's remember there are two different types of switch and both annoyingly share the exact same part number(s) semi circle fitting, the other often referred batman symbol :lol:

IMAG0392_zps44527de8.jpg

Regards

Honda Man

Is this an inevitable fault or is there something that causes it and a way to prevent it?

Is this an inevitable fault or is there something that causes it and a way to prevent it?

I wouldn't say its going to happen or not but anything mechanical/electrical will eventually fail its just wear and tear item?

I've bought a used one from a car being broken - £20 delivered. Honda man - thanks for the info!

I am a little bit daunted by fitting one! I also need to get the steering cowl out and see if I have gotten the right one.

Luckily, the car now doesn't get used very often, so I have time to do it.

The switch failing seems to be something late 90s Hondas are prone to worldwide, it's just an annoyance. You can limp the car along if needs be, difficult to drive a manual whilst holding the ignition key in position though!

Wasn't this a recall of some sort??
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Looks like there was a recall, I wonder if you can still get it fixed by them?

Vehicle Details
Reference : R/2002/071
Manufacturer Ref :
Make: HONDA
Model : ACCORD, CIVIC COUPE, PRELUDE, SHUTTLE, CR-V
Launch Date : 06/08/2002
Numbers Involved : 53175
Build Start Date :
Build End Date :
Recall Details
Concern : IGNITION SWITCH MAY FAIL
Description : Electrical contacts within the ignition switch wear prematurely. This can eventually cause the engine to stall without warning.
Remedial Action : Fit a new ignition switch.
Vehicle Id :
Other Vehicles Affected (Click the vehicle to perform an extended search)
HONDA - CR-V
HONDA - ACCORD
HONDA - CIVIC
HONDA - PRELUDE
HONDA - SHUTTLE

It's my understanding that a recall is for the life of the vehicle, it's not an extended warranty. You can put your chassis number into Honda UK's website which allows you to check for any possible outstanding recalls.
http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandyourcar/recallsandupdates/

I hope they honor it, especially as it is their fault and the issue is potentially dangerous!

Anyway the online system is down at the mo.

Incidentally if they don't honor it, I'm doing one this weekend and a DIY will follow B)
Dude a how to for the barrel would be amazing!

Quick DIY on how to replace the switch here: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13571-6th-gen-ignition-switch-replacement-guide/