What's new

The virtues of double wishbone suspension

freddofrog said:
LOL definitely not a freddofrog effect
You're actually showing your limited knowledge of the LCA on the front on the 7th and 8th gens.

7th gen
B__2710.jpg

8th gen
B__2710.jpg

sixth gen
B__2710.jpg

It''s all very well trying to generally espouse the virtues of double wishbones, but if the engineering is poor, then the end user finds maintenance and setup very frustrating ....which it is on the 7th and 8th gens.

On 7th/8th gens the LCA is one-piece, and, the front bush is upside down, so if you drive along too many undulating roads the bush tears apart.
It's most probably an idea that Honda copied from Hyundai I think, it's just another Honda "off-the-shelf" or "copy from somewhere" idea --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23260-so-how-much-of-your-accord-is-an-off-the-shelf-design/

The myth about Honda was one of the reasons why I bought my Accord in 2006, only to discover that the dealers are a rip-off and so I had to learn all about the car so as not keep being ripped off. If the Honda brand was that good, that shouldn't have happened. The myth is based on JD Power surveys, which looks at the first 3 years. After that, and definitely after 6 years, Honda's start to fall to bits unless you resort to DIY. I'll never buy a Honda again, but I will support all the poor beggers that have bought an Accord and are finding that they need to go up the learning curve just like I did. On that basis, I should have bought a Legacy wagon instead of a mid-00's Accord Tourer

But that is the very point that some of us are making, struts work fine in a harsh environment, they're easier to replace and set up ...QED

edit: as well as WRC, Honda haven't exactly shone in WTCC either --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Touring_Car_Championship#Champions

As for F1, I don't remember a Honda chassis plus Honda engine ever winning the championship in one year. Indeed, unless you count the chassis in the year that JB won in the Brawn, no Honda chassis ever won, but it was powered my a Merc engine (and it is said that they wouldn't have won with a Honda engine).

Well that's part of the myth of branding isn't it ?
I've never considered Ford because of all the anti-Ford sentiment that exists in the UK, Ford seems to be like Marmite ....but next time I will consider them

this applies to struts too

If it's like the Accord, they possibly used trailing arm on the rear on the estate ?

I'd consider a Legacy next myself, or a Ford, anything that still works properly after 6 years :p

never too late to buy a 3.0R SpecB wagon Brian. :huh:

Channel Hopper said:
Over the years, Kayaba has been developing high quality oil for their suspensions. The oil viscosity, thermal capacity and additives
have been specifically selected to obtain maximum performance. The Genuine Kayaba oil is widely used in development, testing,
standard production and factory race teams. Oil quality has a major effect on the way suspensions operate. The specifications mostly
affects friction, oil flow, heat dispersion and lubrication. All KYB suspensions are being developed from the beginning to be used
with the original KYB oil. Only by using the original KYB oil, you have the guarantee that your suspension will perform the way they
are meant to be.

You haven't confirmed whether a - MacPherson - strut is purely suspension or something more.
Not sure what the relevence of these are, interesting none the less.

Not sure what your question is either particularly when you say "something more". MacPherson is type of suspension system, just like double wishbone is, or torsion bar, trailing arm, chapman strut, leaf spring, hydropneumatic etc etc

toffee_pie said:
never too late to buy a 3.0R SpecB wagon Brian. :huh:
I'm thinking about it, seriously am. but before buying any other car, I'd like to know how/where to
1. get hold of the ESM
2. get parts drawings (such as a lings equivalent)
3. get hold of parts at reasonable prices
4. get hold of the equivalent of the Honda HDS
5. get hold of info on more than one person in the UK who could reflash the engine ECU

The active suspensions intrigue me the most, virtually no roll, would love to expirience one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YxqjD8Rh4

Bose, the sound company... also made a very interesting electro magnetic suspension system, it never quite catched on though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPYIaks1UY

Probably more to do with Honda having dome a better job of dialling out the bump steer than other manufacturers.

Admittedly all.of my hondas have been brilliant in that department.

freddofrog said:
I'm thinking about it, seriously am. but before buying any other car, I'd like to know how/where to
1. get hold of the ESM
2. get parts drawings (such as a lings equivalent)
3. get hold of parts at reasonable prices
4. get hold of the equivalent of the Honda HDS
5. get hold of info on more than one person in the UK who could reflash the engine ECU
wealth of knowledge on the legacy forum, once you drive an AWD Legacy and hear that burble.

I wont even mention the mods you can do....

check the MOT history of my car, this is the only major issue.

• Odometer reading91,214 miles
  • MOT test number2876 9616 3060
  • Advisory notice item(s)

Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

@ 91k miles...

aside from a lose front seat :wub: guess that is from excessive use of S# Mode :D

exec said:
The active suspensions intrigue me the most, virtually no roll, would love to expirience one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YxqjD8Rh4
suspension arrangement and basic mechanism is same as on the BX etc which, like all Citroen hydro-pneumatic suspension, can change the pressure to the rear spheres according to the weight difference (by using a valve in the hydraulic line to the back, that detects the angle of the chassis). The Xantia Activa can change the pressure on both spheres on a side to stiffen that side, but it uses electronic sensors instead (because it has to act more quickly) and utilises pressure stored in an extra sphere.

Note that, as with the BX, it uses struts on the front and trailing arm on the back

freddofrog said:
suspension arrangement and basic mechanism is same as on the BX etc which, like all Citroen hydro-pneumatic suspension, can change the pressure to the rear spheres according to the weight difference (by using a valve in the hydraulic line to the back, that detects the angle of the chassis). The Xantia Activa can change the pressure on both spheres on a side to stiffen that side, but it uses electronic sensors instead (because it has to act more quickly) and utilises pressure stored in an extra sphere.

Note that, as with the BX, it uses struts on the front and trailing arm on the back
The Xantia Activa used active rollbars to stop the lean.

Toyota had an even better and advanced system before hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXiS76Slm0

a picture is worth a thousand words

the system that went into production on the Xantia Activa
SC-CAR.jpg

Activa 2 that was in a concept car but was not commercially viable because sales price would have meant it had to compete with top-end German coupes, and AFAIK it wouldn't have had an engine suitable to compete otherwise
activa-schema.jpg

XM hydractive system

xm20.jpg

edit:
and ok, the system in the Xantia Activa (as shown in top image) stiffened or relaxed stabiliser cylinders on one side front and rear
activa-av.jpg