What's new

thunk noise at idle from engine location

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
I've had this odd thunk noise on my car for sometime now, thought it was normal until I came across a thread on AOC with someone else who the exact same issue, and also my dads car doesn't have any noise.

This is the thread: http://accordownersclub.co.uk/6th-5th-generation-accord/5068-noise-idle-nothing-worry-about.html

So basically it makes a background secondary thunk noise when idle after the car is warm, the engine and some connected pipes and bits vibrate too.

His a vid of the engine and noise: http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/simplyvtec/media/WP_20130624_003_zpsbbb902bd.mp4.html

I'm wondering if its a timing belt issue? The car has 82k on the clock and full service history but nothing indicating timing belt change apart from a receipt if i recall, but im inclined to think it might be something else.

If anyone else has come across this, help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Sounds fairly normal to me. Would be worth getting the timing belt and water pump checked out for wear and play in the water pump shaft.

It is an old car, but sounds quite smooth for its age.

Is the service history good? Is it losing any fluids or using them? Does it drive ok?

As its old you dont want to go spending too much on it, might as well buy another if it breaks down in a big/expensive way..

Defo not normal man, it is a very noticeable noise and vibration, you can feel the very slight vibration from the cabin and pedal. It has full service history until around 77-80k if i remember correctly, it's an ex lease car so has been well looked after. Timing belt was done in 2012, 5k ago at Honda dealer according to receipts. Fluid seems to be fine, not losing a lot nor using a lot, but the former will be cos I don't do many miles. Car seems to drive fine in general, although it does have the habit of being sluggish sometimes and responsive other times. I hope it doesnt break, took ages to find one in this condition and price.

It only really does it at idle when its warm, and not when driving or idling high at cold.