What's new

Tie Rod Terror!

jsmith89

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 VTEC Sport
Hi everyone.

I've been going through the process of changing my front suspension including the top arms, lower ball joints, track rod ends etc. As I've been changing the parts the car has much sharper to drive and slowly eliminating the strange wander I had from the steering.

Now all that's left is the inner tie rods on the steering rack. I had started to notice a knock develop when I was parked and dry steering. So naturally I ordered some new tie rods as they seem readily available.....(we'll come back to this)

I jacked it all up, took it all apart and removed the original tie rods (with a lot of swearing and blow torch action). I got the new Quinton Hazel tie rods out the box offered them up and.............they were totally different to the originals!

So I rang my supplier and he cross referenced the part numbers to reveal that everything match up. I decided to ring round all my local suppliers and see if I could locate the correct parts. After phoning 25 suppliers, north and south up to 100 miles nothing matched up. In the end I resorted to phoning my local Honda dealer. They said that the tie rods were only available as part of the steering rack, only £1300+VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went into panic mode! had the car in bits and I was back to work the following day! Then as I panicked some more I had an idea! What if a fabricators could retro fit the ones I had been supplied. I was in luck! After ringing a few local companies and being declined, I came across a little local fabrication firm who were more than happy to re-manufacture the parts to fit my car. After 1h45m the lovely old gent came up to me with the newly made tie rods and asked me how much I wanted to pay him! I was like 'erm........tell me honestly what you would charge'. He said, 'how does £40 sound?' I nearly offered to take him out for dinner!

I got home with a smile on my face but still a little hesitant to relax fully until these damn things were fitted! They fit perfectly. I had it tracked up and she drives spot on.

DSC_01351_zps1bbtypae.jpg

DSC_01361_zpsn2idrxvq.jpg

Sounds like quite the ordeal! So are these parts just not available?? I had a not dissimilar experience with upper control arms from 3 different parts places. Ended up on ebay and they were fine.

Mellenchip86 said:
Sounds like quite the ordeal! So are these parts just not available?? I had a not dissimilar experience with upper control arms from 3 different parts places. Ended up on ebay and they were fine.
Really on a mk6? I had no trouble locating upper arms. I got mine on the shelf at euro car parts. Strange.

Yeah. I went to europarts and 2 other places. They kept giving me arms for the coupe and only seemed to send the drivers side one even though I was after a passenger side. Went on for over a week. I gave up in the end.

Euro car parts are terrible for getting parts wrong. We call them Euro wrong parts in my work lol.

I tend to find the website "blueprint live" to be quite accurate when looking up Japanese car bits. I ***ume you can sign up to that website if you're a member of the public.

Alans27 said:
Euro car parts are terrible for getting parts wrong. We call them Euro wrong parts in my work lol.

I tend to find the website "blueprint live" to be quite accurate when looking up Japanese car bits. I ***ume you can sign up to that website if you're a member of the public.
You can indeed. I thought it was brilliant when that got opened up to the public. It's always my first stop to get the part numbers from there and then search around. They seem very detailed too which is handy.

Alans27 said:

Same here, everytime they either give the wrong part or the designated part is wrong and does not fit and the peoplein store are clueless.

Fortunately I have a blueprint stocked auto parts shop where I can go and get correct parts!