What's new

Time to Lube up!

Big Dan

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 ex I-ctdi tourer
I know this gets talked about alot, but im about to service my wagon (2.2 cdti) and have a question.

the recommended oil is 0-30 full synth, at what ever price Euro car parts wanna charge me for, and i also have the facility to use use 10-40 full synth....for free and as much as i need. its a high quality detergent oil but i dont wanna trash my car but at the same i like to save cash. is there any REAL stories about these engines failing due to the wrong grade oil, or is it actually ok but it might be burn the oil or whatever?
any advice welcome, and asap as id like to do it this afternoon.

Cheers

Dan :)

Yes, lots of stories of timing chains suffering because of the wrong grade of oil used, stick with 0w-30, it ain't that expensive, though I know plenty of folk have used 5w30, Honda still recommends 0w-30 low SAPS stuff.

The 40 grade will be slightly thicker than the 30 at normal engine operating temperatures which will probably not cause too many issues but the 10 verses the 0 will mean it will also be quite a lot thicker when cold at engine startup. This means it will not flow as freely to begin with and so the oil will not reach the critical engine parts (such as the timing chain) as quickly which will cause moments of running with inadequate lubrication.

I would recommend sticking to the 0w-30

I got my Accord serviced last month, and the mechanic had put in 5w30 before I had chance to tell him to use 0w30.. I was skeptical but so far I've had no issues at all, and done around 1k miles since.

Use whatever you want mate. You pays your money and takes your chances as they say.

We can only advise. There is plenty of evidence over the years on the forum, you need to use the search function and spend some time reading up.

DamonT said:
I got my Accord serviced last month, and the mechanic had put in 5w30 before I had chance to tell him to use 0w30.. I was skeptical but so far I've had no issues at all, and done around 1k miles since.
It's not as big a deal in the summer as it is in the winter.

Cliffordski said:
It's not as big a deal in the summer as it is in the winter.
Fair point, depending on what milage I do, I'm getting it serviced it again in 5k miles, I'll be switching to 0w30.

There may be certain 5w30 oils you can get away with mate. But not 10w40, that grade is old hat now and pretty much all modern engines use thinner grades of oil. Euro car parts have good offers on all the time, keep a look out and you'll get your oil for what, 30 quid maybe? I'd just get the correct oil when it's on offer if I were you. Piece of mind is defo worth that thirty quid.