What's new

timing belt?

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
Had car back to Honda today with rattling noise behind pulley they want to charge me £199 to diagnose the fault said they would need it all day is this excessive gut feeling makes me think timing chain

mate, take it to a decent mechanic who will diagnose it for free. £200 to diagnose a ffffffffing fault is criminal. It could be a noisy aircon condenser or anything really. It may not be the end of the world.

Diesel tourer 2006 with 144k had shorter aux belt put on few wks ago was making a noise never changed bearing hoping this is where noise is coming from. Had a few people tell me its timing chain.Got booked in with a good indie on thursday

best thing to do is pull the belt off and have and see if if the noise is still there.

Yes thats the 1st thing he said he will be doing. Engine used to be so quiet. Honda happiness that seems to be going fast. In last 6months 3 clutches a dmf, vsa module , manifold now looking at timing chain (roughly how much does a timing chain fitted cost) maybe ive got a vauxhall in disquise cause its seems to be falling apart after 110k

I do think to be charged £199 is a bit steep tho we would charge 1 hour at £46 for looking at it i do hope its something simple tho best of luck m8.

Yes thats the 1st thing he said he will be doing. Engine used to be so quiet. Honda happiness that seems to be going fast. In last 6months 3 clutches a dmf, vsa module , manifold now looking at timing chain (roughly how much does a timing chain fitted cost) maybe ive got a vauxhall in disquise cause its seems to be falling apart after 110k

When I rang for a quote for future reference the Honda bloke told me :

Parts £1,768.22 + VAT

Labour £335.45 + VAT

The injectors (included in the price) are 4 at £307.90 each. Also in addition (not included in the price) there is he said a bottom pulley which if it is cracked can break the alternator belt. That cost £330.51 + VAT. He made a joke that some cars they call a Bonnie Tyler.......every now and then it falls apart. Hope this helps
Barry

Owch cars not worth that well fingers crossed wont need injectors and praying its something like alternator tensioner well i can hope

oh if you were more down south i could help you guys out with parts etc i can get genuine parts cheaper to

Got the bad news timing chain is the culprit for the noise they also said they would not of diagnosed it if i had not told them as noise is par for the age and miles the cars done and theyve heard a lot worse

Dave, I remember hearing your chain - it was fine for the age. I wouldn't worry too much, keep the oil topped up and changed regularly and I'm sure it will hold out for a few years yet.

Sorry to hear this, who did you take the car to in the end? I'd still be tempted myself to run the car with the belt off. Is you car a facelift then if its a 2006?

Nope it's a pre facelift

Took to a indie in York they took aux belt of was still making noise and then put a screwdriver t ear then told me was chain

Got the bad news timing chain is the culprit for the noise they also said they would not of diagnosed it if i had not told them as noise is par for the age and miles the cars done and theyve heard a lot worse

Sorry to hear that mate.
Could you not ask the Honda dealer to phone Honda UK and try to get a goodwill gesture of some sort maybe worth a try.
Good luck anyway.
Barry

Well im going to ring HUK see if they will do a good will gesture cant see it myself and to be honest they have been good to me. The warranty for the chain if ive done my homework correctly were only for 04/05 reg so would not come under that plus im well past that warranty extension
Not 100% sure what to do cars in mint condition for mileage if i was to put new chain on i would be lucky if i did not have to replace injectors thats my biggest concern turning a £1200 job into £2500 thinking could just keep driving monitor noise and hope it stays as it is which is not that bad and still drives smoothly if i was to drive pass you in the street you would not hear a thing cars really smooth only time you can hear anything is when cars in idle and worse thing if goes could get recon engine fitted roughly £2000. if i was certain injectors would come out i would go down the new chain route but then who to do the job. Or keep for family car and get a replacement taxi.Any1 any better ideas

Sorry to hear this and yes it was only the pre facelift covered.
I would ring HUK and see what they say keep us updated.

Well im going to ring HUK see if they will do a good will gesture cant see it myself and to be honest they have been good to me. The warranty for the chain if ive done my homework correctly were only for 04/05 reg so would not come under that plus im well past that warranty extension
Not 100% sure what to do cars in mint condition for mileage if i was to put new chain on i would be lucky if i did not have to replace injectors thats my biggest concern turning a £1200 job into £2500 thinking could just keep driving monitor noise and hope it stays as it is which is not that bad and still drives smoothly if i was to drive pass you in the street you would not hear a thing cars really smooth only time you can hear anything is when cars in idle and worse thing if goes could get recon engine fitted roughly £2000. if i was certain injectors would come out i would go down the new chain route but then who to do the job. Or keep for family car and get a replacement taxi.Any1 any better ideas

This is the type of problem I am trying to avoid. I have about 4 weeks left on Honda extended warranty covering the timing chain. I am going to try a few dealers to see if I can get it done for free before the 4 weeks is up otherwise I could potentially be in the same position as you. What about a 3rd party warranty as suggested to me or Honda will cover for a year at £299. In my opinion I think Honda should have had a recall on timing chain instead of a extended warranty
Good luck mate.

Quick update for you have phoned HUK this morning hoping might get goodwill gesture not that i deserve it as i have mentioned they have always come up trumps for me,they cant do anything unless diagnosed by a Honda dealer so phoned main dealer in York again explained the situation about having it diagnosed elsewhere and the situation with HUK and explained why took elsewhere regarding the price,they still wanted £199 even though i only wanted them to check the chain. So phoned HH in stoke they will carry out the inspection and replace chains for 1k they explained about the injectors and but my mind at rest a bit by telling me 9 out of 10times they come out no probs so dropping car of in morning 2hr drive and they will do the work Monday

Quick update for you have phoned HUK this morning hoping might get goodwill gesture not that i deserve it as i have mentioned they have always come up trumps for me,they cant do anything unless diagnosed by a Honda dealer so phoned main dealer in York again explained the situation about having it diagnosed elsewhere and the situation with HUK and explained why took elsewhere regarding the price,they still wanted £199 even though i only wanted them to check the chain. So phoned HH in stoke they will carry out the inspection and replace chains for 1k they explained about the injectors and but my mind at rest a bit by telling me 9 out of 10times they come out no probs so dropping car of in morning 2hr drive and they will do the work Monday
Your in good hands there Dave and worth the 2 hour trip.

yeah they did my manifold in December mate just pain getting there and back and again Monday to collect but am going to test drive a new accord auto

That's great news. It does help if someone has done this fix before and and that's a good result at a grand. Will they put the shorter alternator belt on at the same time as that way it wiil only cost the price of a belt. Who knows Honda may even supply you with the kit it's still worth a call. Let us know how the test drive went.

Dropped car of at 9 yesterday morning at HH took saloon auto on quick test drive as wanted to get back to York before snow hit us,all i can say about test drive AWESOME if it had been black id have been driving back in it. Hope this snow clears up hopefully have to collect car Monday evening please let them injectors come out.

All went according to plan picked car up last night nice steady drive home,All rattles gone car back to stock,fresh castrol in engine sounds back to normal.Only down side was i forgot to ask them to change my fuel filter.Big thanks to HH and great price 1k on the dot all in happy days.Have got slight whoosh noise in 1st gear guess that's coming from turbo probably could not hear before cause of the rattle from the chain.
Looks like i may have a bit more time to save for auto saloon after test drive Saturday that's a must now