What's new

Timing chain replacement interval

hewittjackson

Reaction score
Car
06' 2.4 i-vtec Ex
Can anyone advise whether the timing chain on my 7th gen 2.4 i-vtech Ex Tourer should have a replacement programme?

Or, if/when it stretches will it be obvious and not too catastrophic?

Thanks in advance.

It’s not a servicable item and theoretically should last the life of the engine, if serviced and maintained correctly.

If you can hear any chain rattle, or even have a timing diagnostic error indicating a chain slip then it’s time to change it. Otherwise leave it alone.

Cool cool! Correct maintenance and servicing would include regular engine oil and filter changes. Anything else?

Cool cool! Correct maintenance and servicing would include regular engine oil and filter changes. Anything else?
Nope! Other than frequent engine/gearbox oil/filter changes these cars run forever.Usually its the body that finishes these cars off,that said they last longer than most.Mechanically theyre brilliant.

Also worth having your valve clearances regularly checked and adjusted but this has no bearing on the timing chain.

OK, valve clearances, I did do this once with my first car; an MGB, back in the 90s. How regularly should this be done to my Accord if the head hasn't been off and there aren't any other compelling reasons to get grimy?

I don't think I've ever had the gearbox oil changed on any vehicle I've ever owned but I have often worried I might have a blind spot here. ***uming there are no leaks nor other issues, how frequently should the gear oil be changed?

I can't fnd a recomendation for gearbox oil change all the way up to 200,000 miles but changing it will certainly not do any harm and can do wonders in terms of the shift feel.

Gearbox oil change is easy and highly recommended. I would do it every 2-3 years depending on your mileage. Stick to genuine Honda MTF3 (only 2 bottles needed for the K24)

Valve clearances just need the rocker cover removing.

On the K20A6 engine Intake: 0.21-0.25 mm (0.008-0.010 in.)
Exhaust: 0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)
I normally set them to 0.23 inlet and 0.30 exhaust.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same for the K24 but just do a search to double check.

I have never done this job...ever lol Been itching to have a go but just not plucked up the courage yet! Think will do more research first even though i do know how to do them in theory.

I can't fnd a recomendation for gearbox oil change all the way up to 200,000 miles but changing it will certainly not do any harm and can do wonders in terms of the shift feel.
MT or AT? Mines the auto and ive changed it twice in the 3 1/2 years ive owned the car.
Absolutely only ever Honda ATF DW1.....it replaced the Z1 that was used in these boxes earlier in life,which honda discontinued.Its expensive but the box shifts super smooth with this stuff.

As time chain rattling goes, when does it usually make the noise? I'm hearing a very slight rattling sound coming from what seems to be underneath the car while idling in drive and reverse but I'm thinking it the catalytic. Haven't raised the car to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. No check engine or problems when accelerating only when idling in gear and its very faint. Its definitely not the alternator or any other pump.