What's new

Timing chain replacement

Looks to be similar contents but a different make and so unsure of the quality. My supplier ***ured me the Ultraparts was OEM quality! Fingers crossed !

As I noted above the kit shown also lacks the oil pump sprocket which I reccomend should also be replaced at the same time.

The genuine Honda kit isn't that expensive, I think it was in the €380 range last time I looked, that's the full kit with new tensioners but not sprockets.

Grayedout said:
As I noted above the kit shown also lacks the oil pump sprocket which I reccomend should also be replaced at the same time.
I agree with that logic, but why aren't these included in any of the kits shown? Most mechanics would just install the kit and leave it at that. Because the oil chain travels twice the distance, it makes sense that most chain failures are oil chain failures. But how common are oil chain failures after after replacement?

Was chain wear addressed in the DTEC upgrade? If so, how did Honda do this?

Bounder said:
The genuine Honda kit isn't that expensive, I think it was in the €380 range last time I looked, that's the full kit with new tensioners but not sprockets.
I would say it's very bad engineering practice to put new chains on old sprockets and so the cost of the four? etxra sprockets will greatly increase ths price.

Richard B said:
I agree with that logic, but why aren't these included in any of the kits shown? Most mechanics would just install the kit and leave it at that. Because the oil chain travels twice the distance, it makes sense that most chain failures are oil chain failures. But how common are oil chain failures after after replacement?

Was chain wear addressed in the DTEC upgrade? If so, how did Honda do this?
Well I had the chains initially replaced at 119,000 miles and I am 99% sure that the oil pump sprocket was not changed and the oil chain then snapped at 147,000 miles so maybe there is your answer! 28,000 miles!

I agree that the sprockets should be replaced, there are only 3 sprockets as the crankshaft sprocket has two rows, one for the Oil pump and one for the camshaft, its listed as £127.98 The 18t oil pump sprocket is 40 and the cam sprocket is 105.
There is probably scope for a discount on these parts if a code is used.

Well I had the chains initially replaced at 119,000 miles and I am 99% sure that the oil pump sprocket was not changed and the oil chain then snapped at 147,000 miles so maybe there is your answer! 28,000 miles!

Did you see where and how the chain failed?

Thanks for getting back.

The reason I am asking is because I suspect the chains are the weakest link in low end replacement kits. So I was thinking of getting one of the cheaper kits for the sprockets and tensioners, and substitute the chains with brandname items, especially the oil pump chain.