What's new

Timing Chain

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
Has anyone changed their timing chain other than via the Honda warranty route and what were the costs involved?

Has anyone changed their timing chain other than via the Honda warranty route and what were the costs involved?
Hi had mine replaced at HH in stoke cost me 1k lots of this subject on the forum

Thanks, I've had a search and found a few that have had it done at HH for around 1k but not much else.
Googling reveals a few people saying that the two chains can be bought for around £100 ish and most of it is labour, but nothing much to confirm who has gone this way or where they got the chains from?

Mine is going to have some other work done next week and a check to see if my mechanic thinks the chain is noisy.
If it is, I am wondering if I would be better off getting the engine removed, and then getting the chains, manifold and clutch all done at the same time.

Thanks, I've had a search and found a few that have had it done at HH for around 1k but not much else.
Googling reveals a few people saying that the two chains can be bought for around £100 ish and most of it is labour, but nothing much to confirm who has gone this way or where they got the chains from?

Mine is going to have some other work done next week and a check to see if my mechanic thinks the chain is noisy.
If it is, I am wondering if I would be better off getting the engine removed, and then getting the chains, manifold and clutch all done at the same time.

Not a bad theory in all honesty, but prepare yourself for a big bill all the same, certainly would be worth the question and in the current climate you maybe able to pick up some sort of deal on a one stop job.

This might be interesting, if you would prefer to have the chain replaced by a Honda dealer...

"Honda has launched a brand new price match proposition. With the 'Honda Price Promise', Honda authorised dealers will promise to match any like-for-like quote for servicing, repairs, new tyres or MOTs from any garage within a 10-mile radius of the outlet"

See http://www.honda.co.uk/news/enews/2012/07/pricepromise/index.shtml for details.

Can you post some links where I can get new timing chain except Honda dealership? Would love to buy for 100 pounds.

The chain itself even from Honda isn't too expensive, its all the extra guides and tensioners that make the price a bit steep.
But as an alternative have a look at this:
Oil pump chain - http://partsforallcars.com/spares/product_info.php?products_id=164330
Cam chain - http://partsforallcars.com/spares/product_info.php?products_id=164031