What's new

Total power failure

Ambrosia

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-CDTI
Jumped in my car last night after coming home from work & something I've never experienced before happened:

The car started first time (as per always) & I pulled away onto a minor 'A' road. After about 50 yards the accelerator didn't respond when I put my foot down & the revs were pretty much non existent. Was kind of in a state of shock as I'm sure the vast majority will testify, these Accords very seldomly encounter serious problems. Thought that the engine might've just been warming up, but after a few more yards the engine cut out & wouldn't restart.

So, in the pouring rain I jumped out & pushed it to a nearby culdesac with the help of a VW breakdown mechanic whose path I was blocking (good fortune eh!). He thought I'd run out of diesel (light had only just come on) but after putting in a can it still refused to start. Called the RAC out & the mechanic greeted me with an unforgettable quote:

"What on earth have you done? Accords never break down!" :lol:

After checking around he couldn't see anything obvious so plugged into the OB port & came back with the fault code P1384. Whilst he was in his van calling it in I quickly text Faddy (the real 4th emergency service for Honda owners!!) who thought it may be glow plug related.

And so, soaked from the rain I watched my beloved being hooked up to the van & then towed to my nearest dealership. RAC guy said he has only ever been called out to one other Accord & was genuniely surprised to see one of them not starting. For context, my car has been running absolutely fine - hasn't missed a beat really. Regularly serviced, does a lot of motorway miles, 0w30 oil, newish fuel/air/oil filter & running V-Power. There were no warning lights when I pulled away & none when it started to struggle/came to a stop.

So, waiting on the dealer to diagnose the exact fault but in the mean time ladies & gents, place your bets.......

Here you go AL Faddy is right sorry to hear this mate :(

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3843-error-code-p1384/

Here you go AL Faddy is right sorry to hear this mate :(

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3843-error-code-p1384/

Cheers for the link Brett - hopefully Honda Cribbs will diagnose this without too much trouble & get me back on the road. Got a Vauxhall Insignia diesel auto as a hire car & it is lacking some serious (any) torque B)

Sorry to hear your woes, and that you have a horrid hire car. Put some cushions on the driver's seat.

Hope they sort it Al keep us updated

Thanks Dan - you're spot on, the driver's seat seems to be from Vauxhall's 'torture' range

Will do Brett. If you're ever driving through Portbury, think of me pushing the accord, soaking wet & looking distinctly hacked off!

Hope you get it sorted mate let me know if I can help
What happened about the speeding !!

Thanks Paul - no word as yet from Honda Cribbs so should be getting the call on Monday.

Haven't had a date through for the speeding yet, but as soon as I do I'll give you a shout if the offer still stands? Didn't think it'd take this long to be honest, so guessing you've been keeping them busy with lots of collars :lol:

Al,

The link Brett gave you, pretty much highlights how it should be done by the dealer, however a word of warning another member Ged had same fault code, the first dealership he went to started quoting all sorts and was priming the till for some heavy money. Thankfully Ged was concerned with this and ended up taking his car to the forums affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke, who ended up saving him £700 on the original quote as only the glow plugs actually needed doing.

Have a read of his thread below, it will give you an idea as to whether you need a second opinion or not.

P 1384 Ged

Well remembered bud!

That's the link I sent to Al via PM, not sure if he got it. Good luck bud, hopefully just Glow Plugs :)

Al,

The link Brett gave you, pretty much highlights how it should be done by the dealer, however a word of warning another member Ged had same fault code, the first dealership he went to started quoting all sorts and was priming the till for some heavy money. Thankfully Ged was concerned with this and ended up taking his car to the forums affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke, who ended up saving him £700 on the original quote as only the glow plugs actually needed doing.

Have a read of his thread below, it will give you an idea as to whether you need a second opinion or not.

P 1384 Ged

That's the link I sent to Al via PM, not sure if he got it. Good luck bud, hopefully just Glow Plugs :)

Thanks both. Have had a look through the thread now & really hope what comes back from the dealership matches the glow plug fix, but have had mixed experiences with this particular dealer. Ironically I've now got more chance of getting to HH after changing jobs, but the car is literally disabled so will require some work by them to get it moving.

Al you could always try Howards honda in Weston we have a discount there and I've always been pleased with there approach not really helpful now I know but worth rem for the future

Ok so a quick update on the shenanigans with my car. The short version is that it finally got diagnosed with a failed EGR which was replaced and picked the car up yesterday morning. The change in its characteristics is quite staggering. From cold there is no obvious signs of warming up whatsoever, just a really smooth ride from the offset. The engine is noticeably quieter and it pulls brilliantly through the gears without any hesitation whatsoever.

Can honestly say that it's the best its driven since having the remap (and that made a noticeable difference as those of you who've done likewise will testify). The downside is that it was a wallet-denting experience, and took a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing with the technician to get my head around the fix. Here's how my invoice/work sheet looked afterwards:

- Pushed vehicle into workshop
- Charged battery
- Checked DTCS - P1384 glow plug circuit malfunction.
- Found code will not clear
- Fit donor relay and clear code
- Car difficult to start but slightly better when warmed up
- No code showing
- Carried out inspection on HDS
- Fails EGR and turbo boost test

contd...

- Passed all other available tests
- Roadtested, black smoke on acceleration but pulls very well (cheers Faddy :D ) but poor at low revs
- Repeat EGR & turbo test. EGR passed but turbo failed
- Fitted donor EGR and test passed. Road test with donor EGR & performed fine. Retested with donor EGR and test passed
- Started vehicle from cold (next day) and road tested. All ok and no DTCS after test.

After all this was explained to me over the phone, I agreed to have a new EGR valve fitted. As I say, car is better than it's ever been and although an expense anyone could've done without, it's fixed the problem of the complete power failure that I experienced on Friday night.

@Faddy - many thanks once again for the advice/input.

Nice to hear you got it sorted.

Now you can get back to enjoying all that Torquay goodness ;).

Good result Al what was the price tag in the end if you don't mind me asking.
As i no these EGR are very expensive.

Nice to hear you got it sorted.

Now you can get back to enjoying all that Torquay goodness ;).

Good result Al what was the price tag in the end if you don't mind me asking.
As i no these EGR are very expensive.

Thanks gents. Yeah the price was hefty. All in the final bill was £772 (the EGR on its own was £686) but they only charged for one hour of diagnosis when it fact they took substantially more than this.

The worst part was when I thought the lady from the service desk said the EGR was £186. I'll let you imagine the look on my face when I repeated that back only to be corrected "no, it's not £186 it's £686". Jaw hit the floor & backside was going like a rabbit's nose :huh:

To be honest Al that's a good price for labour its just the damn part cost so much.
On a good note im glad its sorted and enjoy the car again :)