What's new

Tourer Rear Shock / Damper Replacement

jayok

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CRV / S2000
After six months on my H&R lowered Accord Tourer the OEM shocks finally wore out. I ordered some Bilstein B8s for the rear and took to fit these as the B8s are specifically designed for lowered cars. This DIY is for replacing the rear shocks on a tourer only. The Saloon has a different suspension make up where the spring and shock are a single coilover, on the tourer these are separate so it's easier to do. Anyway onto the DIY.

Before we start the usual safety rules apply, make sure the car is well supported with axle stands and don't pull it onto you!

Ok you'll need the following tools/equipment

1. Axle stands
2. Car jack
3. 17mm socket (preferably six sided)
4. 14mm spanner (open or closed)
5. 5mm allen key
6. Penetrating fluid e.g. PB blaster, PlusGas, etc (fyi WD40 is not a penetrating fluid!!)

For parts you will need the replacement shocks x 2 (always replace in pairs). In addition I also purchased 2 new dampener bolts, these were not essential but when I done the springs they were pretty rusted so I wanted to get them done (they cost about £10 each).

1. Jack up the car and support with axle stands.

2. Remove the wheel

1removewheel_zps126ee595.jpg

3. Locate the bolt connecting the shock to the lower control arm. This is a 17mm bolt that was torqued to 107Nm

2location_zps3a403495.jpg

4. Before going at this apply some penetrating fluid to the threaded side (opposite the bolt) and let it work it stuff. Give it a few applications.

Now, these can be very, very stiff. It's also possible that the steel core of the bushing in the OEM shock has seized onto the bolt itself. If this is the case, you'll need to burn off the rubber (with a torch) and crack the seize. This is probably not a DIY job unless you've the tools. Most times though it should move easily - I've done a few at this stage.

3penfluid_zpsc3c623e2.jpg

5. Get your 17mm socket onto the bolt and start turning the bolt anti-clockwise . I had to just a cheater bar (breaker bar) to get the required torque. Now, if this is stuck don't over force it, but try tightening and loosing the bolt a few times. Eventually it should come free. The bolt is SAE grade 8 steel, so it's pretty tough stuff.

5removal_zps420b3bcb.jpg

6. Once the bolt starts turning, remove the socket and support the lower control arm via a jack. Raise the arm a small bit (say 2-3 cm) to take pressure off the bolt. The reason for this is that the damper at full stretch supports this control arm. If you don't jack this you will be undoing against the weight of the arm.

4jackup_zpsf1033fd5.jpg

7. Socket back on and complete the removal of the 17mm bolt.

6boltout_zps34179762.jpg

Now open the boot of the car and locate the top locknut of the damper.... (in next post)

8. Using a flat-head screwdriver remove the interior cover to the top of the shock.

7bootlid_zps8c34ef63.jpg

9. Behind this there is some sound proofing, pull it out of the way and you will see the top of the shock.

9removedtop_zps4eec90f1.jpg

10. Using the 14mm socket and allen key, undo the nut holding on the shock. You need to hold the centre of the shock with the allen key while turning the bolt. The top washer will also come off once the nut is removed. Save this.

8removetop_zps12429e40.jpg

11. Once the bottom LCA bolt and upper bolt is done, just pull the shock downward and then out and it will come free.

10pulldown_zps93904225.jpg

11pullout_zpsdb8f48f2.jpg

12. Get the new shock and for fun compare the shock for a lowered car versus the OEM. Notice the difference in length.

12shortshock_zps3a7a8010.jpg

13. Remove the rubber bushing from the old OEM shock (it should just pull off) and fit to the new shock.

13reuserubber_zps7447d84d.jpg

14. Now fit the new shock into the car. Start with aligning the top into the body and then gently tapping in the lower LCA bolt. This bolt is pointed to help centre it.

14replacebolt_zpsbf62e2b0.jpg

15. Loosely tighten the bolt at this stage.

16. At the top of the strut, re-tighten the tower with the spanner and allen key (for the Bilstein I fitten the lock nut was now 17mm instead of the OEM 14mm). Tighten to approximately 29Nm (or tight enough by hand :blush: )

15retighten_zpsc0121fe4.jpg

17. Now, do the other side as above, but you're still not done. When the other side is at the point 16 above, you need to load the suspension before tightening the LCA damper bolt. Do this by using axle stands or whatever to ensure that the weight of the car is on the rear suspension. When it is tighten the bolt to 107Nm.

18. You're nearly done!

16finished_zpsa341ae78.jpg

19. Fit wheels, test drive!

All done.

As a addendum to the above, I can't stress how important it is to load the suspension BEFORE tightening the lower bolt. If you don't the ride will sit the weight on the bushing and you will either tear them or be in for a very rough ride.

In my specific case, I'd terrible trouble getting my OSR rear bolt out. It was completely seized with rust and it needed a blow torch to burn off all the rubber in the bushing so it was possible crack the steel centre of the bush. Once done the bolt was undone - add 2 hours for this. The unstuck side was done in about 20 mins :huh:

+1 for a well photographed and comprehensively written DIY :)

Great writeup man.

:)

Thank you for this DIY, it will come very handy soon as I need to replace both shocks and springs too (need to find DIY on that as well:) ). Great job mate!

Nice write up jayok,is yours a facelift gen7?I'm looking for shockers and eibach springs for mine but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

There are no eibach Springs left for the tourer. So I used H&R Springs. The shocks are of course Bilstein front and rear.

Suspension on the face lift and prefacelift are the same for the tourer.