What's new

Tourer - Wheel Arch Gap

jeffl

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer 2.2 i-CTDi
I recently got hold of some 17" Type S Alloys of Alnug. They certainly look better than the old 16" ones. However one thing I've noticed is that the gap between the tyre and arch is much greater at the front than the back. Now I'm ***uming it's nothing to do with the actual wheels and more to do with the fact that I keep looking at them because they look so much better. Took some photo's today and as you can see there is a big difference.

2012-07-02%2010.26.36.jpg

2012-07-02%2011.26.21.jpg

Does anyone know if this is normal or could it be an indication of something wrong with the front or rear suspension? I changed the rear ARB bushes a month or so back and didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the rear suspension. Also the boot isn't full of anything apart from a jacket or two and I don't have a spare, just the usual jack and bottle of gunk.

Forgot to say, it's a diesel, not sure if it makes a difference. TBH If anything I'd have thought it would be lower at the front due to the extra weight.

Ta,
Jeff

Mine is exactly the same i think thats how it is on the estate.

We used to have a 05 A4 avant diesel and that used to sit the same.

Mine's level although it's a petrol which may make a difference (although I believe the Diesel's a heavier lump). Maybe my front sits lower because my wishbone bushes are split :lol: . I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

Do you ever get knocking/rattling from the back?

Cheers Guys,

I did have a knocking at the back a month back but replacing the rear ARB bushes addressed that. I guess the main thing that's annoying me is that it just looks a bit rubbish with the different gaps. Can't afford new suspension though so I guess I'll have to live with it.

Ta.

My looks the same and it dosn't look good espacialy when you have nice wheels, so I fitted lowering springs :)

I can four fingers between the tyre and arch at the front and only three between the tyre and the arch at the rear. That's with no one in the car, maybe the clever people at honda reckoned on a Fat European in the front seat to even things out??

I've just had an ****ytical look and mine's more or less the same. A fraction higher at the front. I doubt it's an issue and knowing Honda, it's probably part of their master plan ;) .

Hi
I didnt mean to hijack your thread mate but it so happened I noticed the same thing recently
This is how mine looked 3 years ago:
adi023.jpg

and this is how it looks now:
DSC01384.jpg

It looks much lower at the rear and once you put some weight it drops really low. I got some new dampers ready but I recon that the springs are slowly giving up. What do you think guys?
Dan

Mine is the same guys on my 8th gen but i do tow a shed.Iv now put some spring ***ister's on the rear and seems a lot better.

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm

Wow, what a great find mate! Certainly something to look in, GE15 for tourer? Nice one Brett :)

Wow, what a great find mate! Certainly something to look in, GE15 for tourer? Nice one Brett :)
Dan i put the GE14 on mine and is a perfect fit.They take about 10 min to fit and was recommended them by HH.
The ride is slightly harder but not much different really.There very good for extra weight as the springs dont compress so much and adds support to them.
The gap on my springs when jacked up was 35mm.

Great :)
Whats the price tag on these if you dont mind saying? I got to jack up mine and see for myself. Should have taken photo when it was loaded, was really low. I checked my shocks a while ago and they seemed good but the same was for springs, no cracks. Well as soon as it stops raining I will take some measurements. Cheers Brett!

Great :)
Whats the price tag on these if you dont mind saying? I got to jack up mine and see for myself. Should have taken photo when it was loaded, was really low. I checked my shocks a while ago and they seemed good but the same was for springs, no cracks. Well as soon as it stops raining I will take some measurements. Cheers Brett!
I paid about £30 for the set on ebay but make sure you get the graystone ones as there are other cheaper brands.
Hear you go it was these ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Pair-Coil-Spring-***isters-Grayston-26-38mm-Gap-GE14-***ister-/280909738093?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item416786706d

Nice one. :D I will try this out for sure.
Its cheap and does work as iv had them fitted now for over a month.When i hitched the van on before fitted the rear would drop about 50mm now its only 20mm so it does work.

Just ordered mine, bit dearer as it is GE15. I measured the gap and it was 50-51mm. Will post a pic after I fit them, cant wait to see the difference:)

Just ordered mine, bit dearer as it is GE15. I measured the gap and it was 50-51mm. Will post a pic after I fit them, cant wait to see the difference:)
Nice one Dan the tourer 7th gen must be bigger between gaps then.Did you measurer them jacked up with the wheel still on ?

Jacked up without the wheel though :ph34r: Did I just messed up? lol. Nah cant be that bad. ;)

Jacked up without the wheel though :ph34r: Did I just messed up? lol. Nah cant be that bad. ;)
Its only the weight of the wheel so it cant make much difference :)