What's new

Tracking

HondaR84

Members
Reaction score
Car
Hondas
Hi all
My steering wheel is slightly of centre when driving so I' popped in to my local tire place to get the tracking sorted. He asked why I wanted it doing so I told him and he told me I was wasting my time and with "them cars" they need a 4 wheel alinement and it will take an hour and he closes at 5 so he couldn't do it.
I was going to get a 4 wheel alinement when I get some new rear tires fitted which are starting to look a bit tired but in the mean time I wanted my tracking sorted to save my front tires which are pretty new. Do you think he just couldn't be bothered as it was half 4 and he was going home at 5?

Wheels alignment only takes 20 mins or so to be done. Besides, only the front wheels can be adjust on our Accord.

The tyre shop guy didn't bother to provide you the service from my point of view <_<

Go somewhere else, this guy obviously doesn't need your money, best find a place with a hunter machine and book in in advance.

AndyHK said:
Wheels alignment only takes 20 mins or so to be done. Besides, only the front wheels can be adjust on our Accord.

The tyre shop guy didn't bother to provide you the service from my point of view <_<
That's wrong, the Accord has adjustable front and rear toe. Don't waste money on tracking it's pointless. The rear thrust angle needs to be set first, then the front toe adjusted to this if you want the steering wheel straight. The wheel also needs to be braced before any adjustments are done to keep it centred.

Sorry to jump on on this but iv had a problem with my tracking .. or so I think?!
In 3 weeks iv had it checked twice but it still vears to the left ..
iv checked pads and stuff for even wear but all seem ok ... iv told myself im looking into it to much and its probably the camber of thr road but not sure??
Anyone any ideas ... or is it just me making something out off nothing ..?

odbguy said:
Sorry to jump on on this but iv had a problem with my tracking .. or so I think?!
In 3 weeks iv had it checked twice but it still vears to the left ..
iv checked pads and stuff for even wear but all seem ok ... iv told myself im looking into it to much and its probably the camber of thr road but not sure??
Anyone any ideas ... or is it just me making something out off nothing ..?
Does it only veer to the left when you brake? Have you checked tyre pressures? Have you got the same tyres on the front axle? Have you checked suspension for wear?

-Rich- said:
That's wrong, the Accord has adjustable front and rear toe. Don't waste money on tracking it's pointless. The rear thrust angle needs to be set first, then the front toe adjusted to this if you want the steering wheel straight. The wheel also needs to be braced before any adjustments are done to keep it centred.

Sorry my bad, I was quoted by the local tyre shop that the rear cannot be adjust

Pete1958 said:
Does it only veer to the left when you brake? Have you checked tyre pressures? Have you got the same tyres on the front axle? Have you checked suspension for wear?
It veers to the left when I brake just as its coming to a complete stop, also whilst driving ..
Tyre pressures are all the same, I go 32psi all same tyres with same wear ..

Suspension ... good question ... to be honest I woudnt know what I was looking for !!

As said allready, Thrust Angle is important. I Had my CL9 4 wheel aligned at my local Honda £70 inc vat, they actually allow 1.5 hours on the job card. A proper aligned car makes a lot of difference, my car now rolls better and feels lighter, not to mention saving excessive tyre wear. You cannot do a 4 wheel alignment in 20 minutes.

odbguy said:
It veers to the left when I brake just as its coming to a complete stop, also whilst driving ..
Tyre pressures are all the same, I go 32psi all same tyres with same wear ..

Suspension ... good question ... to be honest I woudnt know what I was looking for !!
Well if you think the brakes, tyres and pressures are OK then I would have you suspension checked for wear. If your able to jack the car up yourself then lift the nearside wheel and put a bar etc. under the tyre and see if you can see any upward movement and also check ball joints for movement.

HTH,
Pete :) .