What's new

Traction Control Light

J_VTEC

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Hi all. My traction control light is permanently lot on the dash, which in turn is triggering a VSA fault.

When the ignition is on, the traction control light it's illuminated. If you drive the car a few yards, the VSA light comes on.

I'm ***uming the fault is with the traction control system. Any ideas where I should be looking to fix the issue?

Cheers!

I can see you've got a 2.4, also you've posted about the fault before back in 2015. Did you manage to sort it back then but the fault has now returned?
The VSA can light up for several reasons on the petrol models, the usual culprit is an ABS sensor but I have read that badly worn bushes/ suspension will do it to.

You can try and read any related error codes using the "paperclip" method documented on here or alternatively you'll need the codes read with an HDS or decent diagnostic code reader. You've more than likely got a bad wheel sensor which in turn is throwing the 84-1 VSA code.

Just remembered - had all three come on in a friends accord not that long ago, the ABS light disappeared after having an ABS sensor diagnosed and swapped but he was left with the triangle and VSA.
The reset procedure took care of it and lights haven't been back since.

Thanks guys and yes I did have a VSA issue back in 2015.

I got a replacement unit from BBA Reman for £350. That worked for a while then the VSA light came on briefly one day. I replaced the brake pedal switch and it's been fine for 18+months.

This time the explanation mark is on which eventually triggers the VSA light of you drive the car.

I've had the car in the garage who attempted to clear the fault to no avail.

I have the car booked in to an auto electrician tomorrow and wondered what would trigger the exclamation mark (traction control) light.

I think if I get to the route cause of that fault, the VSA will not show an error.

I think I'd read somewhere that there's a crank sensor on the engine that is part of the traction control system. Could this be faulty?

Just to clarify, I have not had an ABS fault showing on the dash, just the traction control and VSA.

Thanks for the link. Having read through the thread, it doesn't seem like the issue was resolved?

I'll get the fault code tomorrow and take it from there.

I've had ABS wheel sensors fail before so the ABS light came on and subsequently the VSA light and had them replaced and fault cleared. The yellow triangle WTH the exclamation mark though I've read pertains to the traction control system.

Thanks for your help

Ok, quick update. Had the car looked at and the fault code is indeed the 84-1 VSA. The auto electrician says the VSA module is faulty. I've contacted BBA Reman who say they will look at the unit under warranty.

Hold on, it's worth giving the re-teach procedure a try. You may just save yourself a fortune?

I thought exactly the same thing, the procedure only takes about 5 mins, if it works it saves a lot of hassle

OK, I'll give that a go. The guy at the auto electricians said he couldn't reset the fault. I'm just dubious of doing this myself in case I make matters worse.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi guys,

Is there a link to the reteach procedure? I thought it might be in the link above in the comments but I can't seem to find it in that thread.

Thanks

OK, I think I've found it. Is this the procedure?:

Jump pins 4 and 9 with paper clip or similar. Clear codes first by turning ignition to position 2 then press brake pedal when abs light comes on. Release the pedal then press again when abs light returns. The abs light should blink twice and disappear
Now turn off and attempt vsa reset by turning back to position 2 press vsa button once as soon as vsa light come on (within 0.5 seconds) the light should go then re-appear as soon as it does press the vsa button immediately (again within 0.5 secs) if it's worked all three lights should blink twice I think then disappear - hopefully for good!
Did this for a workmate on a 2.0 petrol accord a few nights back, so far so good

Edit: should mention his car had the 84-1 vsa reset required error

If so, I'll try and give it a go before the car goes in the garage in a few weeks.

That's the one, the first part is essential as any underlying faults need to be cleared first (if any are present).
As long as you bridge the right pins you won't cause any harm. Unless your very heavy handed and end up skewering the diags. Port!
You can make access a little easier by popping the connector out of its frame to hang loose

Thanks guys. I can only follow the instructions provided. I just hope it doesn't cause irreparable damage in the process. Not very confident with car electrics.

My auto electrician has already attempted to reset/clear the fault using the proper software to no avail. I'm wondering how the paperclip method would get a better result?

Ok. So I'm driving the car today and the engine check light comes on.

Wondering if the crank sensor needs replacing. I think the traction control uses this to monitor engine RPMs. If the sensor isn't functioning, neither will the traction control and subsequently the VSA.

Just a hunch

Of course, I could be talking absolute tripe! Time will tell!

I'll post the outcome here if I ever get it sorted!

So here's the prognosis:

No idea what the CMP Sensor A is. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

CKP = crankshaft position sensor
CMP = camshaft position sensor

84 indicates a VSA neutral position memorisation is required

Thanks Freddofrog!

The garage reckons the VSA module needs replacing for to the 84-1 fault code. I think both the aforementioned sensors are faulty causing the traction control to go offline. This on turn is causing the VSA fault.

Does this sound plausible?

Also are these sensors difficult to replace?

If either of those CKP & CMP sensors are faulty I would expect the engine to be in limp mode. So those may be 'historic' codes.

Did they clear all the codes, and if so, did the codes come back ?

Just wondering if CMP Sensor A and CHP sensor incorrect phase means there's a timing issue?

I would have expected that would put the engine into limp mode.

Are you sure they "cleared all codes" first so that those are new codes ?

Yeah, they've been cleared already. They just come back up again. I'm thinking there is an issue with the timing now. Don't even know where to start at this point.