What's new

Transmission flud - how oftend to change it

Sarajevoaccord

Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hello,

The car is Accord 2004 2.2 i-ctdi manual executive. It cover 130.000 miles. How often need to change transmission fluid? I do not have service manual and wondering what they say by the book how often it needs to changed?

Sorry if this was asked before but I could not find it.

Thanks a lot

I would change it now for peace of mind. I am changing mine every 3 year's or 50k ( which ever comes first).

I was thinking its about 60k. Will change it now. Thanks a lot!

Yeah - it is due every 60,000 according to the manual for my 06 accord iCTDI.

I have a 01 leon where I was told the transmission oil is in there for life, I later found out life is deemed to be 100,000 miles. I changed it at 120,000 miles, it made a great improvement to the feel of each gear change, and the car felt so much smoother. Definately worth doing now.

The accord takes so well to a transmission oil flush. However do not overfill the gearbox.

I'll correct my previous post - handbook states two conditions, normal driving conditions and severe driving conditions, Under normal conditions the interval is 75,000 miles or 72 months, under severe conditions its 37,500 miiles or 36 months. capacity is 2.5L for 5 spd box requiring 2.2L for a fluid change, or 2.1 capacity for the 6spd box requiring 1.9 for a fluid change.

Just make sure you use genuiine Honda MTF3 - these gearboxes don't like anything else.

mine only took 2lt in a 5sp, did let it drain for ages aswell.

If you're gonna track your car, then its best to change for fresh fluid before and after any track day as the gearbox oil has no cooler nor filtration system. Spoken by Tatsuro Ichishima-san from spoon sports B)

I bought mine at 44k and the gear change wasn't great, especially getting into 3rd gear. Got the fluid changed and hey presto! - smooth as silk. I' d say a change every 75k minimum but if it feels like it needs it then do it - you won't be disappointed.

For how much it costs for a silky smooth gear change I would change every 3 years or 50k