What's new

transmission problems

delarn

Members
Reaction score
Car
98 accord
i have a 98 accord since i bought the car i have had two transmission install new torque converter an each time i keep getting same codes can someone please help an each time i replace the transmission will shift into every gear except the very last gear when im on the highway doing like 70mph the rpm are at 3k now people are telling me my computer is bad anybody else had this problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I remember correcntly one member here said you cant take an automatic box from another car and put it in another as each is coded for the car they came with and you cant do anything about, so your problem might be that.

exec said:
If I remember correcntly one member here said you cant take an automatic box from another car and put it in another as each is coded for the car they came with and you cant do anything about, so your problem might be that.
Well the above poster has clearly proved that wrong, as he can drive it in all gears and up to 70mph...

delarn said:
i have a 98 accord since i bought the car i have had two transmission install new torque converter an each time i keep getting same codes can someone please help an each time i replace the transmission will shift into every gear except the very last gear when im on the highway doing like 70mph the rpm are at 3k now people are telling me my computer is bad anybody else had this problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
70mph at 3k revs is about spot on. It's a 4 speed auto box, so that will be why you think it's not changing into 5th gear :)

What are the codes?

is what you're saying the problem is that your torque converter isn't locking up?

The code is p0740 every time I replace the trans this codes always returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riknos said:
Well the above poster has clearly proved that wrong, as he can drive it in all gears and up to 70mph...

70mph at 3k revs is about spot on. It's a 4 speed auto box, so that will be why you think it's not changing into 5th gear :)
Incorrect, once the torque converter locks it is 2.5k @ 70mph

Cheddars said:
Incorrect, once the torque converter locks it is 2.5k @ 70mph
yep, that's what the description of P0470 says, it's a failure to lock, with various possible reasons