What's new

Turbo failure

1madboiler

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer cdti
Hi again, after nearly 2months of trouble free ownership, our tourer,s turbo has gone bang, just accelerating from a roundabout when there was a bang and a loss of power, no dash lights initially, stopped and nothing apparent under the bonnet so carried on but it started smoking heavily, stopped and called AA 2fault codes p1237 & p1401 he said blocked Egr. Tried to get it off to clean it but couldn't so recovered to home. Glow plug light flashing now.Took it to my local garage, who have had a look and the turbo has gone and a nut has been ingested into the turbo body, thankfully it hasn't gone any further. I have approached the dealer I bought it from and waiting for a response, looking at the thick end of £700, not happy, I asked the mechanic if the turbo had failed due to egr causing oil starvation but as the car was smoking when I started it and drove to garage he said there was lots of oil in the turbo so thinks it's the shaft that's gone! Mileage is only 102k and a very thorough service history, car was supposedly serviced when I bought it but does anyone think the wrong oil could cause this in only 2000 miles? Going to garage in the morning to get the part numbers so I can order a replacement . I will report back when I know a bit more

Sorry to hear this. EGR can have nothing to do with turbo oil starvation (it's function is to route exhaust gases into the intake manifold. The wrong oil might cause the turbo to fail, but it would have had to have been a very wrong grade or type... what oil have you got in there?

Yep agreed it. At best the link can you draw is a bad egr causing the turbo to over boost but even so at that mileage you would have plenty of life left in the turbo.

I would also look at oil viscosity and check if the car has a bad remap on it.

Thanks for that, I have checked with the supplying dealer this morning and he has confirmed that the correct oil has been used and the fuel filter has been changed etc. The car is being recovered back to the dealers mechanic for him to look at and I have been ***ured that he will complete the repairs correctly. I am going to try and contact previous owner to see if the car has had any remaps etc.

Update on this, spoke to fahad and he recommended a 2nd hand turbo rather than a reconditioned one...sourced one and mechanic fitted it, no powere below 21/2 k revs then it was off... Had various things checked and only that came up was a low boost at low revs error, it looks as though the turbo I bought is goosed, some variable vanes aren't closing apparantly, spoke to the scrapper and he has supplied another turbo and it's being fitted tomorrow. Fingers crossed now !!!

Hi mate, don't be so quick to write off that turbo it might be the actuator itself or the Egr valve which doesn't always give an error.

Try the replacement but if it does the same thing then it could be either of those

Got the car back and after driving it home it's certainly better but I'm not sure that it is right, the mechanic has cleaned egr valve and all pipe work, changed the oil and filters etc but I just think it doesn't seem as eager as it did prior to the failure, I also used a system cleaner called revive so the inlet side should be clean, I have only driven this Honda so I'm not sure whether it's right or not, might just have to live with it for a couple of days and see how we get on, thanks for the advice fellas :)

Book it in for the Egr off when you are ready. I'll be able to run some diagnostics at the same time

Will do fahad, but it will have to be in a couple of months, a bit skint at the minute the wife who uses the car much more than me is delighted that it is back to normal ( her words) I'm not so sure it just doesn't seem as keen to pull.got it tomorrow so I might give it a bit of a run

No rush mate. Speak soon

Well we are now on the 3rd turbo, 1st & 2nd replacements turned out to be faulty, had the car diagnosed by a Honda technician using Honda equipment, he sent the data to Honda who diagnosed that the 2nd replacement was faulty. On the advice of my Honda mechanic i had the original turbo rebuilt (another £360) and another £120 to fit. Got the car back on Friday night and it still has no power at lower revs. Coming off the A19yesterday in 5th at 50mph I had to go into 3rd gear before the car would accelerate, when driving on the motorway etc, put your foot down at 70 and nothing in the way of acceleration until 2500rpm. Contacting the supplying dealer and going to attempt to get all of my money back and the costs so far £1042. Absolutely sick now and probably the worst experience in 30 years of driving

I bet all your turbos were fine mate, it's more likely the egr.

As Fahad says, it's quite possibly the EGR valve stuck open. Might also be a failed turbo actuator unit, which would result in a lack of boost in certain driving conditions.