What's new

Turbo noise — is it normal?

bwdrew

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 I-CDTI Tourer EX
Hi everyone,

Just picked up my Accord Tourer 2.2 i-CDTI. Just a quick question: having never owned a modern turbo diesel engined car before, I was just wondering whether it is normal to hear the turbo when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed through (which doesn't seem to take very long), the motor's a peach; the clatter is imperceptible, and the turbocharger seems to be much quieter. Can you other diesel owners verify this? (My only diesel car experience was a 96 Rover, which, despite direct injection, was rather vocal. This motor is a different beast entirely!)

Other than that, I'm loving it. The torque from about 2000 rpm onwards is addictive, and the toys are great -- I'm particularly impressed with the voice recognition of all the climate/audio/sat-nav/hft systems. It's the way all cars should be! Fuel consumption so far, on minor A and B roads -- 45-50mpg. Colour me impressed! I'll update this once I start using it for my commute properly.

Hi everyone,

Just picked up my Accord Tourer 2.2 i-CDTI. Just a quick question: having never owned a modern turbo diesel engined car before, I was just wondering whether it is normal to hear the turbo when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed through (which doesn't seem to take very long), the motor's a peach; the clatter is imperceptible, and the turbocharger seems to be much quieter. Can you other diesel owners verify this? (My only diesel car experience was a 96 Rover, which, despite direct injection, was rather vocal. This motor is a different beast entirely!)

Other than that, I'm loving it. The torque from about 2000 rpm onwards is addictive, and the toys are great -- I'm particularly impressed with the voice recognition of all the climate/audio/sat-nav/hft systems. It's the way all cars should be! Fuel consumption so far, on minor A and B roads -- 45-50mpg. Colour me impressed! I'll update this once I start using it for my commute properly.

Yep thats normal mate if you think the torque is good PM Fahad for a remap and your mind will be blown away.

Adam (The Hole) might be a nearer option for you though....

Welcome Benjamin. The noise you describe is quite normal, and as long as there is no signs of excessive smoke, oil loss or any whaling - then your turbo would seem fine to me.

As the guys have said, a remap brings this car into a new dimension B)

Happens at about 1500? when cold, goes away pretty quickly, I use it as an audible rev counter until we are warm. Yes you are right it is a completely different beast to all the other oil burners and much much better. IMHO.

Same with mine - I was actually about to post about it, but this came up in a search first! I hear a whine at around 1800 -2000rpm as the turbo spools up and down. Sounds a bit like a distant police siren, unnervingly. Disappears as soon as the temp gauge starts to move. I was starting to get concerns I had a turbo lubrication issue, especially when combined with the turbo lag that I initially found surprising in a car like this. Reassured to hear it's normal!

I get this on mine too so think its pretty common. On my mondeo st, the turbo was about 10x louder and gave a distinct wastegate noise when letting off the throttle. Mind, it was fairly heavily modded. Funny isn't it, if we were the imprezza crowd we would be asking how to make the turbos louder. :blush:

I get this on mine too so think its pretty common. On my mondeo st, the turbo was about 10x louder and gave a distinct wastegate noise when letting off the throttle. Mind, it was fairly heavily modded. Funny isn't it, if we were the imprezza crowd we would be asking how to make the turbos louder. :blush:

Thats the difference! there's excellence! then there's EXCELLENCE!!!