What's new

Turbo noise following manifold replacement. Not whistle, not whine

bijomaru

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Had this since they've fitted the new manifold in Swindon. When turbo kicks in there's additional noise heard. Not whaling or whining. It's very difficult to describe. Definitely related to turbo. As soon as it kicks in the noise appears and goes after I release the accelerator

Had service done at HH week ago but they did not pick anything up except for some washers missing, but they were not in stock at that time.

So I am going back to the dealer in Swindon tomorrow and ask them to have a look. My question is, when they replace the manifold, do they work around turbo, disconnecting any hoses etc?

I do not think there is any loss of power, no excessive smoking. Noise appears on cold or hot engine, each gear around 1.5k rpm but only when turbo kicks in. No noise when slowly accelerating through gears.

Yes they need to disconnect the turbo hoses and also drain the coolant. It could be normal mate, especially if your manifold has been blowing for so long and you jsut never knew what a regular sounding ICTDI was ;)

in all honesty buddy,when i brought my accord i also thought there was something wrong with my turbo as it can be described as very "LIVELY" iv never heard a diesel with such a lively turbo,nor has the mechanic i took it too..lol :) so im sure its nothing,if still in doubt post a video bud and we can take it from there... :)

Hmmm.. Well I'd rather not make a fool of myself... But then if it's a developing problem I'd rather had it checked.

You probably know I always worry too much ... If it was the turbo bearing going, would I hear the whailing instantly? Other symptoms?

It's a pain as I can't check it while stationery. Nothing there. The fact that they forgot some washers, might mean they could have forgotten to connect some pipes up. But then I'd see a loss of power.

Damn it Faddy, why do you have to live so far :) I'd probably be hassling you every week lol

I'm afraid it won't be heard on a video recorded on a mobile. I'll give it a shot though.

Sounds like its a good thing I live so far :lol:

Hmmm.. Well I'd rather not make a fool of myself... But then if it's a developing problem I'd rather had it checked.

You probably know I always worry too much ... If it was the turbo bearing going, would I hear the whailing instantly? Other symptoms?

It's a pain as I can't check it while stationery. Nothing there. The fact that they forgot some washers, might mean they could have forgotten to connect some pipes up. But then I'd see a loss of power.

Damn it Faddy, why do you have to live so far :) I'd probably be hassling you every week lol

listen bud,

we all learn of each others experiences, im just like you, i drove my accord around(when i first brought it)without even putting on the stereo too loud so i could get use to the sounds the car makes,so if i ever heard anything out of the ordinary it would worry me(as im a worry pants too :lol: )we all post up questions on stuff we dont undertsand it maybe a laugh for memebrs that do already know but you be suprised the amount who dont(and usally you will get; "oh is that what it was" "oh i never knew that" \"i was wondering if thats how it functions" etc)so ask away, especailly if youve tried the search and cant find your answer. They are all really nice on the site,and very willing to help out...(home sweet home for me ;) ) give it shot on the mobile and see if the sounds can be heard bud. :)

yeah. just wait until CJ finds this thread and i bet he'll say 'you should have got car with a proper engine' lol

Got some recordings, going through them now to see if it picked up the noise.

yeah. just wait until CJ finds this thread and i bet he'll say 'you should have got car with a proper engine' lol

Got some recordings, going through them now to see if it picked up the noise.

:lol: ,WELL thats cj(petrol through and through)although saying that he is very helpfull too (good old cj ) cool bud look forward to the vid.

Video coming ... God the noise my tyres make is horrendous. Went for a cheaper brand, never again.

Anyway, I can pick up the noise I mean in few places. I'll try to pin-point it for you to make it easier. Not really a good quality and the noise is not so apparent. A bit easier to pick up when it the car, and when it's warm so you don't hear that much of the engine.

Ok it's really *****, but at 5-6 seconds you can hear the whistle, and the extra noise.

Tell me what you think? Hope you'll pick it up.

Ok it's really *****, but at 5-6 seconds you can hear the whistle, and the extra noise.

Tell me what you think? Hope you'll pick it up.

ok bud the video not great llolll :) , but from what i could from the video was the turbo kicking in around 5 seconds....which soundly normal..but thats from what i could tell from that video...a second opinion would be great.

Sounds like a glorious diesel to me, but then there isn't much definition off a mobile microphone.

Just ask the dealer to have a listen when you take it in Robert.