What's new

Type R buying

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
I'm considering selling my diesel accord and buying a Type R and might hopefully be looking at one at the weekend. My Dad had one when they were still new so I know what they are like but what should I be looking for now that they are 10 years old or more?

Corrosion
Service history
5Th gear synchro go on them.
Make it idles well.
Make sure it revs all the way.

Rear door handles are prone to breaking the clips on the inside.
Brake pipes and fuel lines that run in the plastic tray under the car rot really badly,theyll need doing unless theyve alreadybeen done. Fuel lines were about £100 fix...brake lines i did myself...cost £30 for a copper pipe and ten hours of my time....really nasty job i wouldnt wish on anyone!!!

The gear box....5th gear @ reverse syncro....mine showed no signs of this when i went to look at it,but 2 weeks after i got it started crunching into reverse. Then came out one moring soon after and couldnt reverse out of the driveway,5th gear lasted about a week after that before i lost that. £800 later it was sorted......

Bottom crank pulley gets nackered and wobbles about....£180 from honda....

Both o2 sensors were the originals so needed replcing even though they didnt show any cel codes,£140 for the pair.

Crankshafts seals....youd see oil collecting on the bottom of the gearbox housing.

Camshaft end seal dizzy end....leaks oil that shows under the dizzy cap and on the front of the head by the top left corner of the exhaust manifold.

The egr plate on top of the inlet manifold and the egr will need cleaning every few months or so, this is a free fix,just takes half or so to do but ive found its usually the main issue of any running problems i have.

List seems bad now ive written it down...but the main is the gearbox....if its a pre...facelifts dont tend to suffer this as as the parts were revised for the facelift version....
I was unlucky enough to have all these problems at once,still havent done the crankshaft seal lol

But its all worth it in the end!!!!

Headlight auto levellers, common problem that one of the lights drop. Also the levelling bar on the back axle is often broken.

Rust on top of the door under the seal above the wing mirror.

Leaks in the boot

Make sure auto tensioner has been done with cam belts and at the right intervals as these can fail.

Find out oil consumption, ATRs use oil due to vtec, but if it ussd a lot or smokes out the back on vtec, it could be ring wear.

Check for engine noises, h22a7s are tappety anyway, but bottom end noise means fooked shells which will be £1500/2000, more if the crank is scored.

Heavy clutch could mean replacement, clutches don't last much past 100k, but that is a good excuse to put in a lightened flywheel.

Cracked foglights are like hens teeth to replace.

Then all the usual stuff, check for pad/disc wear, aircon if it has it, check all windows work (Honda regulators have always caused problems)

They can be money pits, they can be cheap motoring, luck of the draw, but they are soooo much fun.

Good luck Dave with searching for your ATR and hope you find a cracking one.

Try the accordr.org owners....theres a few nice ones for sale on there

Cheers guys, anyone want a tourer diesel lol
There is a new member Dave looking for a derv his member name is Jungle i think.

I went and saw the Type R tonight and I am very tempted.
I didn't get a chance to take it for a test drive for one reason and another, and it does need a little work.
But the good points are that it is totally original, not messed around with and loads of bills to back it up.
It doesn't look like it has ever had any paintwork in its life neither.

Now I need to convince the wife that its a good idea, and get a quick sale on mine....

Dave it might pay to get one if our ATR members like Si or Shinny to have a look .
They no there cars and no what to look out for.

I really don't think it will be around long enough to wait for other people to see it.
It has had an elderly owner for the last 7 years and lots of receipts to back up what has been spent on it. Engine sounded sweet as a nut too.
My friend is an ex Honda mechanic so I will try and see if he can have a quick look at it tomorrow if he isn't too busy.

Then that's the best car you can buy and elderly person with lots of service history.
TBO petrol Accords are very good and only problems are down to poor maintenance.
It's odd as you are doing the same as me went from a diesel to a petrol lol

I wanted a diesel Accord tourer for a long time, finally got one and then got a new job only 10 miles away from home. I just feel its wasted on me now, but a Type R could liven up the country roads I need to take to work.

Go to the atr forum and check the buyers guide. Atr's are not bullet proof and are sometimes plagued with problems you have to check the buyers guide its really useful.
Also has the vtec been used by this elderly person because if it hasn't you'd need to clean the egr plate and valve and possibly the vtec solenoid.
As others have said make sure you check for gearbox issues, also blue smoke on idle and in vtec. Also if the idle is all over the place the vc's may need doing.

I wanted a diesel Accord tourer for a long time, finally got one and then got a new job only 10 miles away from home. I just feel its wasted on me now, but a Type R could liven up the country roads I need to take to work.
This is the reason I went back to a petrol
Fun fun all the way :lol:

Idle was perfect, no blue smoke, it's a facelift too so less gearbox problems.

Did you have a chance to look underneath it??

As Shinny said Dave what was the outcome of the car

No not yet. Everything broke at work so I've been really busy there but having second thoughts on the car at the minute.

Yes I looked underneath and it seemed solid enough. The problem with the car is it has been sat fir several months so the brakes need work. The wheels really need a refurb due to paint bubbling and the tyres aren't great. Add in no tax and a short mot and I'm not sure if the car really us cheap enough compared to some others that have a full mot and don't need work.

I've just put another 2 new tyres on mine so trying to decide whether to sell mine now and then look or get the winter out of mine then look again.

Thanks for the feedback Dave your best bet is take your time and don't rush into a buy.Im sure the right one will come along soon.