What's new

Type-R headlights on 1.8 S?

Solvalou

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 1.8 VTEC '51'
Ok dumb question here but just making sure, are the headlights on the Type-R Accord compatible with the ordinary boring one? Also does it matter if it's a facelift or not?

The pre facelift should fit, and the facelift should be alright always get confused with it as it had the griller and bumper revised but the lights look the same. However the Type-R had Xenon's so I'm not sure it will be a straight fit, might need some wiring done.

Not a stright fit, you need the auto leveling mechanism located rear wheel wells. Obviously the wiring too. Not impossible but a few things to think about

There's me thinking it was a straght swap, damn. Thanks for the heads up guys I think it's probably best I leave it if that's the case.
Though I know that some non Type R's had Type R style lights, would they be a straight swap?

I've seen some Sport models with the black border lights, but no idea if they had uprated Xenons and what not or just standard. You could always mod your lights.

Well there's someone selling a set with "HID ballasts" which I never knew they had from stock. I ***ume that means it's been converted, IIRC not even the Type-R's has the correct lenses to work with HID's.

ATR's were indeed xenons from the factory.

Easiest thing would be to spray the insides of your current headlights black and put a HID kit on there.

If you do get a HID kit, PLEASE get them aligned properly so you don't glare people.

I think I will leave it if that's the case. I would have no idea how I could wire it up with the sensor aswell. Thanks anyway guys, I was going to jump in mindlessly so I am glad I asked!

BlueVTEC said:
ATR's were indeed xenons from the factory.

Easiest thing would be to spray the insides of your current headlights black and put a HID kit on there.

If you do get a HID kit, PLEASE get them aligned properly so you don't glare people.
I'm a bit late to this party but what do you mean spray the inside of the lights? I'm intrigued. Is there a divider in there that can be sprayed to look like a ATR light? If so I'm all over it!

Redrook said:
I'm a bit late to this party but what do you mean spray the inside of the lights? I'm intrigued. Is there a divider in there that can be sprayed to look like a ATR light? If so I'm all over it!
you can seperate the lights with a heat gun or put them in the oven to losen the seal and then you can take the chrome trim inside and paint it any colour you want.

silverVTEC said:
you can seperate the lights with a heat gun or put them in the oven to losen the seal and then you can take the chrome trim inside and paint it any colour you want.
Cool, are there pics anywhere of how to take it apart? Do I need to take the whole unit out, and does that require taking off the bumper?

Redrook said:
Cool, are there pics anywhere of how to take it apart? Do I need to take the whole unit out, and does that require taking off the bumper?
I only have before/after pics sorry.

Bumper off, headlight out. Undo the 3 screws on the back of the indicator, then use a heatgun to soften the glue and slowly prise the lenses apart. Give the chrome piece a light sanding (DO NOT do the inner curve of the indicator, just the outer border ) then paint. Also it's a good time to clean the inside of the lenses while they are apart.

BlueVTEC said:
I only have before/after pics sorry.

Bumper off, headlight out. Undo the 3 screws on the back of the indicator, then use a heatgun to soften the glue and slowly prise the lenses apart. Give the chrome piece a light sanding (DO NOT do the inner curve of the indicator, just the outer border ) then paint. Also it's a good time to clean the inside of the lenses while they are apart.
Thanks, I might give that a go when I have a day free. Will I need to re-glue or will screwing it back on suffice?

Redrook said:
Thanks, I might give that a go when I have a day free. Will I need to re-glue or will screwing it back on suffice?
You can reuse the old glue. When you prise them apart it will be like string cheese, so just carefully break the strings and place them back onto the lenses/headlight unit. Then when you are ready to put them back together, heat up the glue so it softens, then stick them together and press very tight to ensure a good deal. I found that having vice grips in certain parts like corners etc helped me, and it must of worked as then never fog up or anything like that.