What's new

Type S IDtec Induction kit

SparkyTypeS

Reaction score
Car
Mk8 honda accord
Any particular reason why when an induction kit is installed on my 2.2 idtec type s it goes into limp mode within a few miles, I have the correct maf sensor adaptor and a large enough filter the car has dpf delete and stage 2 remap also.

My 2c for what its worth. I doubt your induction kit will do much for performance except give problems like you have discovered.
Honda's engineers are no fools and the stock airbox/filter setup is very hard to beat in most instances.
There have been plenty of tests done with stock vs modified airboxes/filters and the conclusion that most people find is that they offer no measurable performance benefit.

It shouldn't really go into limp mode unless there is something wrong with the installation causing a bad maf read. but I would absolutely advise against an induction kit anyway, they serve no positive performance benefit on a modern diesel, and our own dyno testing on the ictdi a few years back proved that they lost a few ponies lower down in the rev range. A diesel relies on you getting the right volume, flow and shape of air in at the right time. The stock air box, pipe work and genuine filter are designed a certain way to achieve exactly this..

It shouldn't really go into limp mode unless there is something wrong with the installation causing a bad maf read. but I would absolutely advise against an induction kit anyway, they serve no positive performance benefit on a modern diesel, and our own dyno testing on the ictdi a few years back proved that they lost a few ponies lower down in the rev range. A diesel relies on you getting the right volume, flow and shape of air in at the right time. The stock air box, pipe work and genuine filter are designed a certain way to achieve exactly this..

^^ Sounds good though ;)

I was going to do this too and make an induction kit, following as closely to the original pipework as possible to minimise the difference in air flow. There is now a kit you can buy for the i-dtec on ebay (I'm not getting this one though) so they must've done some work to stop any potential issues from happening.

Am I right in thinking, if it has had a stage 2 etc, there will be an increase in air flow required for the increase in boost pressure? Or will it be something that needs to be mapped in properly?

Yes all the variables including intake will have been changed. What is the error code you get when it goes into limp mode?

I was having a think, would resetting the ECU when the induction kit has been fitted help?
My thought behind this is that an ecu learns driving styles and engine parameters throughout it's life. If you put an induction kit on it will obviously change the air flow readings to what it is 'used' to seeing which maybe why it's causing it to go into limo mode?
The only other thing I can think of is to drive the car very carefully and gradually increase revs/speed until the ecu 'learns' the new air flow readings etc.

I might be chatting rubbish but it's just a thought.

Cheers
Rob

It’s worth disconnecting your battery overnight and that will reset the adaptation data, but I would say you need to check what the error code is first and go from there.

Have you managed to figure out why the car was going into limp mode?

I was speaking to a guy at work whos really good with turbo setups and engine tuning. He was saying that you may need to get the air flow sensor re-calibrated once the induction kit is fitted.
It's possible that there by unrestricting the intake and increasing the air flow, its exceeding the upper limit of the sensors flow calibration, causing it to go into limp mode.

Have you got a picture of the setup as well?

Rob