What's new

Type S in car dvd with flip down monitor

Steve72accord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord s
One has been slighty busy today fitting an in car dvd under the wifes instrutions in order to stop our kids from killing each other on long trips.

I`m fairly sure Honda already do something like this as an option but i bet is very expensive so i though i would do it on the cheap as i already had all the kit ( My wife made me take it out of her Skyline before we sold it ) lol.

I didnt want to mess with any of the original stereo wiring so i`ve fitted this as a stand alone unit only plus i`ve not had to cut or drill any holes in the car at all ( It can all be removed without leaving any sign that it had been fitted in the first place ).

It`s not connected to the cars speakers as it was in the Skyline , instead i`ve fitted three 3.5mm jack sockets behind each rear head rest to plug headphones into , that way us up front don`t have to listen to a film we can`t see anyway and can carry on listening to the stereo as normal.

photo-35.jpg

photo-34.jpg

photo-36.jpg

photo-37.jpg

The head unit is out of sight in the glove box and out of reach from the kids ( although it can be controlled from the rear of the car via the remore ).

If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it , just thought i would share this with everyone as i`m sure a few of you have kids that drive you nuts on long trips.

It's write ups like this that really make me enjoy looking at this forum - great place to see what's possible with our cars. Looks like a lovely and tidy install buddy :D

Thanks mate, Over the last 20 years I've done alot of stereo mods plus just about everything else and I've got to a point now where I don't really want to chop things about too much ( It's a horrible feeling when you've just bought a pre owned car only to find that the wiring is in a mess and there's holes all over the place ). The accord has a very nice interior and I wanted it to stay that way too .

I've just had a look at the Honda parts list for what is basically the same system £1949.59 as an option just for the parts let alone fitting it . Looks like I've saved a few pounds since its not cost me a penny and Honda only supply two sets of headphones lol.

Nicely done. It reminds me of the system we had in an Espace when the kids were younger. It half worked - in the sense that it kept them quiet for half the journey, after which they reverted to trying to murder each other.

The joys of trying to keep children occupied on long journeys. It's brought to mind the horrors of a long flight to Cuba (10 hours) when they were aged between 6 and 10.

Alan

steve buddy that looks superb,very nicely done,very professional!!! looks oem bud,do i see a d.i.y on how you did this mod coming up?? :)

My mate Pee O put drop down monitors in his Chevy mini van thing in Thailand.

What he hadn't accounted for in his drop down install was the roof not being insulated enough and the sun was heating up the crystal displays so nothing showed on them.

Love it

Really need one for my two girls, they're a right pain on long journeys

Very nice install.

I will happily pretend to be a kid and chill out on the back sat if I had this piece of kit! :D

I've not had any problems with heat build up effecting the screen having said that it never gets that hot in the uk lol.

I should have taken some pics while I was fitting it but didn't think about it to be honest . Basically I removed the over head light and made an adaptor plate that bolts in to the original fixings . Once that was in its just a case of screwing the monitor mounting plate to the adaptor . The wires are fairly small and easy to get across the head linning ( one thing you must do as you run the wires across to the left hand side of the car is make sure the wires go behind the side curtain airbag ) or in the event of an accident it will not work correctly ( safety first ).

The DVD player only just fits in the glove box as its a standard size jvc unit but I'm sure it's possible to get smaller stand alone DVD players.

All the wiring runs down the left hand side of the car and picks up its power directly from the battery with its own fuse ( keeping it completely separate from the rest of the cars wiring ).

I took the car for a test drive last night with the kids in the back and there's no picture skipping on bumpy surfaces or anyother interference from any of the cars electronics .

Just a quick update.

I've done away with the idea of using three headphone jacks behind the rear head rests in favor of ir wireless head phones instead , I didn't realise the monitor had an ir output in till the other day so I ordered some wireless headphones from eBay at £10 a set . They arrived the day after I placed the order and work perfectly .

This is cool man!

Really like this and considering the same in my newly purchased Tourer, initially wanted headrest screens but looking at the Accord headrests they don't quite look big enough to house monitors.

Very tidy install and I like the idea of using the interior light!!

Si

I've found it's a lot better with the one roof mounted monitor rather than two head rest ones tbh, as well as the screen being a lot bigger all three rear seat passengers can see it without having to lean across each other plus they all have ir headphones Si there's no leads anywhere .

The screen also swivels 360 degrees so if I'm waiting for someone I cab just turn it around and watch a film lol.

All good points and making me think single roof mount might be better. Where did you pick yours up and what size screen is it bud?

Quick search on eBay turned up thousands of them!

Si

I won the monitor on eBay a few years ago for £27 if I remember correctly , the screen size is about 9" but it's a standard screen rather than a wife screen so it looks bigger.

The DVD play was a freebie which was a bonus that I got my hands on the year before last , I already had all the wiring I needed so the only thing I had to by was the headphones .