What's new

Type V

mac5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 SE Executive
Hi All,

I currently have a 2000 SE Executive. Had her around a year, but have paced 25,000 miles in that time, and she was only a £400 car to begin with. She's on 136,000 miles.

I'm keeping it n the short term, as there's nothing wrong with it. The bodywork is a bit tatty and it's a city car so it's likely to get bumped and bashed, but I do like it.

I'm considering changing cars in the medium term, and wondered if it's worth looking at a 2.3 Type V? I'm looking for a newer, lower mileage car. I now only do circia 5k a year.

Is there any advantage over the 2.0 SE Exec?

Cheers

Craig

Leather seats and more toys but the 2.3 doesn't translate into as much extra oomph as you might think.

As an ex-6th Gen owner myself I'd say go for a 7th Gen instead - its a much bigger step up - and if you get a 2.4 it will put a huge smile on your face ;)

I'm not spending any more than £1k on a car. When the 7th Gen drops as low, I'll consider it. I like the 7th Gen but not as much as a 6!

I was looking at a 52 plate 2.3 Type V earlier with 68k for £995. I was initially searching for newer, lower mileage SE Executive models.

Is there anything a Type V has that an SE Exec doesn't, apart from a 0.3cc increase and 5bhp more?

I think the type v has a slightly different interior including a wood effect steering wheel. Not all wood but parts of it.

Type-V's also have more soundproofing and softer bound/rebound rates for the shock absorbers. This equals a softer and quieter ride, but it wont be as sharp to drive. Some models also have rather garish chrome door handles and Type-V specific 16-inch 7-spoke alloy wheels.

Performance wise there is nothing in it between the 2.3 and 2.0. While the 2.3 has slightly more torque, it doesn't like to rev as much as the 2.0 and this shows when giving it the beans.

May I ask, why would you consider buying another nearly identical car if you current sixthy is going strong?

If I recall without fail, the Type-V had sat-nav as standard, has the extra chrome on the exterior, bigger alloys and the bit of wood on the steering wheel.
Another thing, I've yet to see a Type-V without the cream leather interior.
Unfortunately, I don't have the 2002 sales brochure kicking about to give you a definite answer.

My car is tired these days, it's on about 136k, the seats are tired, the bodywork is too bashed and too scraped and it has a few "niggles".

It doesn't cut the mustard visually anymore, but I like the car. I figured a lower mileage, slightly newer car might be a better option. I'd be more than happy with the same colour/interior. I currently have the cream leather with green exterior.

Might be worth looking at a Type V, doesn't seem to be any thirstier/dearer to insure.

My car is tired these days, it's on about 136k, the seats are tired, the bodywork is too bashed and too scraped and it has a few "niggles".

It doesn't cut the mustard visually anymore, but I like the car. I figured a lower mileage, slightly newer car might be a better option. I'd be more than happy with the same colour/interior. I currently have the cream leather with green exterior.

Might be worth looking at a Type V, doesn't seem to be any thirstier/dearer to insure.
I think you will find the Type v slighly more thirstier tbh. Maybe go have a drive of a type v and see what you think?
Have you considered a 2.0 but slighly newer, exec version again

I originally started looking for an SE Exec, the Type V just cropped up when I was searching.

If I find one, I'll have a look. Fuel consumption isn't a massive issue - I only do around 40 miles per week.

Maybe worth considering a Legend :D Maybe not!

If fuel consumption is really not an issue, why not go for something like a Lexus LS or GS? A bag will net you a good one...They're great to drive, cheap to run and not actually that bad on fuel.

Live a little! ;)

Unfortunately, I park in the street so Lexus wouldn't really be practical!

I'm more than happy with my Accord - I think it might be the best car I've owned, I just want a nicer one :D

I'd get another 2.0 Exec, isn't the 2.3 not vtec too from previous gen?

Not sure about anything like that, just wondered if there's much difference. I've also noticed larger engines = cheaper purchase prices.

I do like a cheeky Vtec so maybe the 2.0 would be better :D

I noticed a Type-V kicking about Livingston t'other day. It didn't have any Vtec badges on it, but it did have 5 wheel nuts, so I'd bet it's using different brakes from the SE Exec. If they're any better or worse, I don't know.

Or a 2.0 Type V?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307107751554/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/1000/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/sr27by/keywords/TYPE%20V/radius/1500?logcode=p

I do prefer the saloon though, and these all seem to be 2.3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306267494468/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/1000/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/sr27by/keywords/TYPE%20V/radius/1500?logcode=p

Or a 2.0 Type V?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307107751554/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/1000/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/sr27by/keywords/TYPE%20V/radius/1500?logcode=p

I do prefer the saloon though, and these all seem to be 2.3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201306267494468/sort/default/usedcars/price-to/1000/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/postcode/sr27by/keywords/TYPE%20V/radius/1500?logcode=p

The 2.3 is a VTEC so no worrys there....Pretty much identical to the F18/F20.

I've owned two Type-V's 1999 2.0L & 2002 2.3L also an SE executive all auto's :lol: and the 2001-2002 model with the 2.3L was by far more fun & comfortable and contradictory more economical too, all three cars are still in the loop either with friends or family :D

Also not trying to start an MPG debate the 2.3L engine just has a different ECU setup and bigger exhaust manifold :rolleyes:

Type R?

Type R definitely isn't for me, I'm more of a wafter...

Still perusing the small ads considering both versions. The Type V seems to be more of a "me" car, although I know the difference between 'em is slim.

Bigger capacity + auto. FTW