What's new

Tyre Pressures

Rich_1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.2 CTDI Tourer
Hi all,

i have had my Mk 7 Tourer for a few years now and I constantly seem to be pumping the tyres up on the blasted thing. I have had bad luck with punctures so it is on it's third set of tyres with me, all round and I have changed the make each time trying softer or harder compounds and the result is always the same!

i have the 16" 205/55 - is this a common thing!?

i have had cars in the past, including a few Honda's, and never had this issue - does anyone know what's going on?! I wondered if the wheels were slightly buckled allowing a small amount of air to escape but the chances of all 4 seems remote, plus the tyre chaps - again i have tried a few different places - seem to think all is in order.

any help/advice/condolences, would be appreciated.

cheers
Rich

Don't have any issues on my 2004 16". I think they are Bridgestones on mine but historically I have never had air leakage problems from the tyre itself. Usually a puncture or leaky valve can cause this. Occasionally if a car has been sitting for some time you do get 'natural' reduction in pressure. I'm sure one of the other scientists on here will explain that one. Could try getting one of those tyre valve tools for a few quid and make sure the valves are not loose, they are threaded into the valve tube and I think seat against a small rubber O ring.

Thanks Scooby - i should have added i drive the car daily so it rarely sits for a while to let the pressures go down.

Valves is a good shout but don't tyre places replace those with the tyres? i can't hear any air escaping either so it is gradual but i have to pump them up weekly!

Rich_1981 said:
Thanks Scooby - i should have added i drive the car daily so it rarely sits for a while to let the pressures go down.

Valves is a good shout but don't tyre places replace those with the tyres? i can't hear any air escaping either so it is gradual but i have to pump them up weekly!
They should, but do they......... conspiracy!

I had a colleague at the office once with a similar issue on his Dodge, he told me not so long ago he had a puncture repair but still he's having to pump up the tyre every so often. Got my little valve tool out, found the threaded insert loose, couldn't hear anything it was very small weep/seep. Nipped it up good as gold after that.

Don't get me started!!

OK, good man - i'll give that a try on the weekend, thanks!

If that don't work run them to a decent tyre shop of if you have a large enough container dip tyre to look for any leaks I check my tyres weekly and the hardly ever lose any pressure.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

The best thing i would do in that situation would be to:

-As mentioned above, Remove all wheels one a time and somehow submerge the whole wheel and tyre under water (even if you can submerge half the wheel at a time if you dont have a tub big enough). This would indicate where the air is escaping.

-I had the same issue on one of my wheels, turned out the air was escaping from the tyre valve. (had the tyre valve replaced twice and after each time the tyre would still be going down very slowly after a few weeks) I then went to a different place (protyre in enfield and explained the situation - awesome helpful guys there) The guy at protyre removed the tyre and machined polished the inner and outer rim edge and cleaned/polished the tyre valve seating and hole. He did say the tiniest amount of grit within the tyre valve can lead to small amount of air escaping. so far the wheel has been spot on.

-There could be a crack or very small fracture in the alloy (as you mentioned) but would be unlikely on all four wheels.

-Best bet is to submerge the wheel in water - you will find the cause if there is is one. Some garages may be able to do this for you. (they usually have a massive tub of water for checking for this type of thing)

Hope you find the cause.

"Best bet is to submerge the wheel in water"

Drive it into a canal, you could stick your diving gear on and check all four at the same time lol (just kidding don't do that!) :p

really @ScoobyDoo :huh:

Are you wheels showing any signs of corrosion, worth getting the tyre shop to check the wheel rim is clean and sound surface.

ScoobyDoo said:
"Best bet is to submerge the wheel in water"

Drive it into a canal, you could stick your diving gear on and check all four at the same time lol (just kidding don't do that!) :p
Sometimes I consider just driving my car into the river and purchasing a replacement too.

honda_saj said:
really @ScoobyDoo :huh:
No dude, was kidding! Although walking along the Kennet towpath one summers day I did see a 4 door saloon half submerged in the canal, maybe someone was trying to check tyres for leaks?

Happy New Year!

It's new years eve. They must be due someone running a motor into a river on Eastenders, or at least ploughing some people outside the pub.

Good point I use a good tyre shop they use a drill with wire brush to clean around rim and valve then apply black sealant i have two rear alloys with a buckle in them that lose no air is lost too many cowboy tyre places out there unfortunately

It could be the valve holes in the rim causing the problem. My son used to be a tyre fitter and told me it was a common fault with some BMWs and they would cure it by putting sealant round the hole before fitting the valve.

All good tyre fitters should put sealant