What's new

Tyre Time...

Hamid92

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type S
Hey guys,
It's time to change the tyres once again (I clearly do to many miles) anyways I currently have on Falken Ze914 and they are a decent ish tyre just not what I'm looking for so asking for help again.

I need a tyre that is ultra grippy in the dry and decent enough in the wet with again decent wear. I've been looking at ad08r's and they are obviously amazing in the dry and not bad in the wet but are expensive and wear quickly due to the compound so ruled that out. Others such as rsr and t1r just plain dangerous in the wet.

Moving on I have narrowed it down to:
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 ***ymetric 2
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta (preffered)
3) Michelin Pilot Sport 2/3

I am leaning towards the vredestein's as they have received amazing reviews and are cheap at £65 per tyre.

Next question is, I have the stock type s 17" alloys the 5 double spoke ones and was wondering if altering the sizes slightly would be better for handling.
E.g stock size is 225/45/17
What if I got - 215/50 or 55/17 front and stock on rear?

These will be my last tyres on this car as changing car soon hopefully :)

The CL7 Euro R for some reason had 215/45/17 on the same rims, I'm not sure why?? As for altering your profile size, that might have implications to your speedo,

If you want to see a dramatic improvement in handling, lower it!!

Good luck on the tyre search, many have different opinions on different brands, I just know that I'll never touch Dunlops again. I haven't tried any of the ones you have listed :mellow:

Hamid I wouldent start messing around with tyre sizes this will make your handling worse IMO and maybe unsafe.

I have experience with the vred on a 225/45/17.

Amazing tyres in wet and dry. But obviously due to grip levels they wont last more than 20k on the front

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-RE070.htm

ive had all the tyres above....bridgestone re070 are better than all of them for dry grip and road feedback.i love them.and good enough in the wet...i only use re070 now and pay around £88 a corner and last me around 10-12k miles.i will be replacing all 4 after xmas with re070

225/45/17

but £65 for vred is cheap

I'm changing tyres very soon and going for some Falken Euro All Season tyres as they'll be ideal with the upcoming weather - They have scored very well in the Bildt tests.

Mr Honda so I think I will either have 225/45/17 or 215/45/17 all round then?

I have been toying for a while about lowering it but if I get springs I need new shocks and I don't want to spend £700 on coilovers as I'm buying a new car soon hopefully. Really want it dropped but for low money if possible. P.s I also don't touch Dunlop after a lovely case of aquaplaning!

Brett thanks for the heads up I will keep them the same all round but will there be an improvement going from 225 to 215?

THE HOLE thank you for that, wear rate at 20k isn't too bad actually but what kind of driving was that as I use my car in a pretty enthusiastic way?

Ukcl9 I have heard about them tyres a while back and completely forgot about them thanks although the vreds at £62.85 a corner is seriously cheap for such a good tyre! Hard to beat. I would love semi slick but the only good one that works in the wet is ad08r and that wears super quick and is double the price of vreds!

Nick I see the results you refered to the other day but for outright grip they probably won't be as good, thanks for the tip though bud

hamid...
My driving was smooth but enthusiatsic at times. Roundabouts when fun, and with a stage 2 map + 2nd gear out of a roundabout was always pulling like a train.

I would say 14k was on motorway 6k on the twisty stuff

I don't think switching to the thinner tyre will improve handling, it may improve mpg, but you might have less grip in the corners!! i'm just miffed as to why the more powerful Euro R had 215's as standard and the less powerful versions were recommended to have 225's for 17's :wacko: :wacko:

Thanks guys well now I have another option. Dammit I'm not really getting anywhere am I?!
Two choices and that's it! Help me decide between...
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Vredestein Ultrac Vorti
They are roughly the same price but apparently the Vorti is better in the dry but Sessanta is better in the wet!
Someone help please...

Realistically you want something that is better in the wet, given the weather over the next few months will be mostly wet or worse snowy..

Osiris apparently they are much better than a C rated tyre in the wet but I never go fast in the wet anyways. It can be used in snow also so I'm just going to go with them and order them tomorrow, the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta in a 225/45/17 94y XL guise. Will post back with my findings.

Just bought 4 new Michelin Ps3s at £105 per tyre fitted. Initial impressions much better than the Bridgestone S001's they've replaced. Both brands very good in the dry and wet. The 225 /45/17 91Y seem good on my type S tourer :)

Thanks for the reply guys. I will keep everyone updated!

I also need to get my bushes changed both front nearside and offside and was thinking polyuthrene? Anyways any link me to poly bushes for the cl7 petrol?

Thanks mate. It's the type s 17" 5 twin spoke alloys if that confirms it

I hate tyres. I'm back to square one again because I just can't choose dammit! Seriously it shouldn't be this hard! In order of my choice would be
1) Yokohama AD08R (£95 a corner)
2) Vredestein Ultrac Vorti (£80)
3) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
4) Goodyear Eagle F1 ***ymetric 2

I am ruling out 4 because it's sidewall is so soft even in XL form. Ruling out 3 because 2 is actually much better and it has harder sidewall. Already ruled out Dunlop Direzza DZ03G, Federal 595 RSR, R888, Nankang NS2R and Federal FZ201 due to them only coming with 4-5mm of tread as new! I like the idea of semi slick soooooo it's between the best roadworthy semi slick (ad08r) and the best street grippy tyre (ultrac vorti)! No one give me any other suggestions because I'm confused as it is lol.

Not a great deal of price difference but the ad08r is impeccable in the dry but just worried about wet even though I never drive hard in the wet! Arghhhhhh