What's new

Tyres worn out from outside only

blueagle

Members
Reaction score
Car
GT 2.2 i-CTDI
I had new tyres fitted sometime last year and I noticed the other day both the front tyres have worn out from outside only. I'd like to know what is causing this and what do I need to do to fix this? I don't think I've driven more than 10k miles with these tyres so I don't really want to replace them unless its necessary.

Too much toe-in at the front.

It'll be down to poor tracking setup, or you could well have worn compliance bushes in the front lower control arms.

Or your tyre pressures are too high

Lower control arm bushes need changing my tyres had extreme outer wear before I changed mine. If its a 7th gen accord.

Can you post a picture of your lower control arm bushes you can see it quite easily in the gap between your wheel and the front bumper. Its usually easy to see if they are torn and worn out and sitting to low.

Or possibly too low tyre pressure. What pressures are you running on?

Or a combination of factors as already mentioned by others.

Low tyre pressures would typically wear both the inside, and outside edges, as would worn LCA bushes.

It's more likely to be incorrect tracking because it's been adjusted with worn bushes, and now toes-in badly.

I've taken pictures and I've added them in my dropbox share. Thanks for all your help gents. Please let me know ASAP if its the LCA bushes then I can order them from Honda Stoke and hopefully I'll have them with me on Monday. In the mean time I hope its OK to drive the car? I've got 200 miles round trip to do tomorrow.

I don't think its the low tyre pressure, I regulary check the tyres pressure and I believe recommended is 33 whereas I keep it at around 35 as it was suggested by "F1 Autocenters" when I got the tyres changed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aher1dp91zezevq/AACXnM2NxhjDlnpBr9PVIFE2a?dl=0

The compliance bushes look okay in those picture's. Mine were all torn and sagging alot lower down.

Agreed, they don't look terrible.

A good way to check is to stick the thing on full lock, and try to roll the wheel forward and backward by hand to force the bush in each direction. You'll see how much movement there is at the joint.

Thanks for replying guys. So Matt you're suggesting, do full lock with hand brake on and try to roll the wheel forward or backword by hand?

Yeah, you'll be able to see the deflection in the joint, it'll give you an idea of how knackered the rubbers are.

I got new tyres fitted last month because they had become dangerous. F1Autocenter advised me it was due to the wheel balancing, apparently all 4 tyres needed balancing which they did. I wasn't happy because car was pulling to the left and steering wheel wasn't aligned in the centre so I took it back and they re-adjusted it. I still wasn't happy because car was pulling to the left so I took it back and the store manager told me that was expected because of road design though he told me he'll look at the alignment. My car is still pulling to the left even when I'm on the motorway, is this really expected?

Tyre pressure should be 32psi on 17" rims for normal loads, not 33, not 35. My opinion, of course, based on several years ownership.

And it's not normal if it's pulling to the left on the motorway. It needs FOUR WHEEL alignment, have they actually done that?

TheJamMod said:
Tyre pressure should be 32psi on 17" rims for normal loads, not 33, not 35. My opinion, of course, based on several years ownership.

And it's not normal if it's pulling to the left on the motorway. It needs FOUR WHEEL alignment, have they actually done that?
They told me explicitily that they've aligned all four wheels.

I have 7gen Accord and last yr August I bought new Yokohama. At ront they lasted till 10/may/2016 and got partworn Dunlop lasted 23/july/2016 now got Continental partworn. Eating inside like mad dog. I think needs bloody alignment. Want mech to do ball joints front upper and lower. The camber is joke. Only lasted 3 months they were with a good grip on them when I bought. Was thinking to get the camber kit blue adjustable but dono if I'm putting new ball joints