What's new

Tyres

mikdys

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 EX
I will be needing a new set of tyres soon and I'm wondering whether to change brand. I'm running Pilot Sport 3s at the moment and the grip form these is great (I like corners!) but the tyre wear isn't so good. Car is a 2.2 diesel saloon and I'm getting 12,000 miles from the fronts and maybe 18,000 from the backs. I'm wondering if Eagle F1s would still give good levels of grip but a few more miles.

I like the Michelins and had these on a Civic CTDI which had Michelin Primacy on it to begin with and which I changed to the Pilot Sports totally transforming the grip. On the Civic though the PS3s didn't wear that badly and lasted 50% longer and I'm surprised how quickly they wear on the Accord. I know it's a bigger car but I don't think it's that much heavier.

Has anybody run PS3s and F1s on the Accord and, if so, how do they compare?

Have a search fella there are about 4 tyre threads hear already.

I've got the F1 on mine, brilliant tyre altho not cheap.

To be honest next time i'll prob go back to Falkens FK452 were good as I mainly use the accord for commuting and don't really need a 'sports' tyre

The Uniroyal rainsport 2 is the same tread pattern as the Eagle F1 GSD-3s and as grippy apparently. I still rate the Hankook K115 but will try the rain sports next

I was going to opt for the Goodyear F1 Eagles but decided to try out the new Dunlop MAXX RT's, about the same price but have got a number of great reviews due to lower wieght and wider shoulder blocks. so far I'm very happy with them, theve only done 2K but seem to be wearing well. also their quieter than the goodyears.

But the F1's seem to be the higest rated and recommended.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/13706-the-great-tyre-debate/page__p__152445__hl__tyre+debate__fromsearch__1#entry152445

Thanks for the replies and especially the link.

Comment from the link was:

"Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 here too. Very hard to compare when you have worn tyres and put a new set. Of course they will seem better, while in the same tyre category. But for now they seem to have harder side walls than the previous Michelin PS3. They should be pretty similar in performance. "

The tyre test linked to compared the F1 and PS3 as follows:

2nd: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Total: 38.6 / Dry: 9.2 / Wet: 7.2 / Rolling Resistance: 8.2 / Noise: 6 / Wear: 8
Positive: A very balanced tyre, top marks on dry pavement, good on wet roads, relatively low wear

4th: Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3
Total: 37.6 / Dry: 8.8 / Wet: 7.6 / Rolling Resistance: 7.6 / Noise: 6.6 / Wear: 7
Positive: A very balanced tyre, particularly strong in the wet, good on dry pavement

What I've been struggling with is how the F1 can give the same dry grip (or more) but better wear. Maybe the harder side walls are something to do with that. I think I'll give the F1s a try after all.