What's new

Unusual engine noise

ok Jon, firstly, I described my Accord as a S**t so and so was through angst. Which I apologised for in my post and also tried to change but for some reason didn't alter. Secondly, the only "intended Jibe" in your account does not ring true as I was not directing it at anyone, however, your deformation of my "claimed work in a garage" "20 years experience meaning nothing" is most certainly a 'jibe'. I do not know you, nor do you know me. I have tried to resolve peace and not get into a pointless online argument but you seem hellbent on such. I offered an opinion such the same as yours. Your accounts bare no real evidence whatsoever, I was trying to be "the better man" but you seem to insist on causing aggravation with your "backing claims up with evidence".

The person that derailed the topic was actually you, I was trying to keep the peace.

Well I'm sorry for not fitting your criteria, however, maybe you should practice what you preach. You say that I should provide evidence like you...Quote...Me, Wikipedia and Opie Oils.

Firstly you. You have no more weight in your claim than I do.

Secondly, your Wiki claim has no weight either as it is an unregulated, unaudited site and cannot nor will it ever be accepted as a viable proof of research (for all I or anyone else knows it could have been written by you as an alias). It certainly is not accepted as an accountable accurate reference in the British education system.

Third, Your Opie oils PDF although is conclusive and well written has no author, no referencing, no researching I.D. Anyone could have written this whether I agree or disagree it carries no authority or recognition at all.

So, as far as your quote about "backing your suggestions up with evidence" goes, you have failed. You have provided no evidence. I can provide my certificates, twenty years of work history within the industry, a degree in engineering and an account from Bardahl Oil engineering.

Personally, I did not want to rise to this. But you do seem hell bent on wanting to start something despite my many attempts to soften the atmosphere.

You have made some good posts as I see, including some you have directed me too. I could if I really wanted pick holes in them but unlike you I do not feel it is justified or worthwhile.

I came here to seek help and in return to offer guidance if I could. I did not think I would come across a self righteous, hypocritical individual. I sincerely thought these forums were to help people. To throw academic daggers at me about evidence, you provide worthless accounts yourself claiming them to be "gospel" is laughable.

You are clearly, after many attempts from myself to diffuse the tension, one of those people that want to argue no matter what, that you are indeed the divine almighty!

Yes, I am a certified and time served Mechanic, Panel Beater and Paint sprayer with a degree in Engineering. I offered my opinion as you did yours. I did not 'attack you' or judge you. I was merely trying to help. I think it is a shame you felt the need to target me with unsubstantiated waffle that you feel is 'concrete evidence' despite it being anything but!

I'm not going to waste my time with you on this matter and would appreciate you and I stay well away from each other.

Its a shame in reference that a poor fellow is having issues with his car and all you see fit to do is 'pull another forum member to pieces with hypocritical toss'.

I must admit that the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#Multi-grade and the Opie page http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Engine-Oil-Viscosity.pdf whilst correct, are both a bit simplistic.

The range of temperatures in England is from -11 C to +38 C ....from the Met office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-extremes/#?tab=climateExtremes

so let's say that engine oil in England has to endure a range of 50 C ambient

Using those references, it is difficult (if not impossible) to be able to correlate the viscosity of a multi-grade oil, to starting engine-oil-pressure and operating engine-oil-pressure, over a range of 50 C ambient .

Bearing that in mind, IMO, everything becomes anecdotal according to one's own experiences.

listerjones said:
ok Jon, firstly, I described my Accord as a S**t so and so was through angst. Which I apologised for in my post and also tried to change but for some reason didn't alter. Secondly, the only "intended Jibe" in your account does not ring true as I was not directing it at anyone, however, your deformation of my "claimed work in a garage" "20 years experience meaning nothing" is most certainly a 'jibe'. I do not know you, nor do you know me. I have tried to resolve peace and not get into a pointless online argument but you seem hellbent on such. I offered an opinion such the same as yours. Your accounts bare no real evidence whatsoever, I was trying to be "the better man" but you seem to insist on causing aggravation with your "backing claims up with evidence".

The person that derailed the topic was actually you, I was trying to keep the peace.

Well I'm sorry for not fitting your criteria, however, maybe you should practice what you preach. You say that I should provide evidence like you...Quote...Me, Wikipedia and Opie Oils.

Firstly you. You have no more weight in your claim than I do.

Secondly, your Wiki claim has no weight either as it is an unregulated, unaudited site and cannot nor will it ever be accepted as a viable proof of research (for all I or anyone else knows it could have been written by you as an alias). It certainly is not accepted as an accountable accurate reference in the British education system.

Third, Your Opie oils PDF although is conclusive and well written has no author, no referencing, no researching I.D. Anyone could have written this whether I agree or disagree it carries no authority or recognition at all.

So, as far as your quote about "backing your suggestions up with evidence" goes, you have failed. You have provided no evidence. I can provide my certificates, twenty years of work history within the industry, a degree in engineering and an account from Bardahl Oil engineering.

Personally, I did not want to rise to this. But you do seem hell bent on wanting to start something despite my many attempts to soften the atmosphere.

You have made some good posts as I see, including some you have directed me too. I could if I really wanted pick holes in them but unlike you I do not feel it is justified or worthwhile.

I came here to seek help and in return to offer guidance if I could. I did not think I would come across a self righteous, hypocritical individual. I sincerely thought these forums were to help people. To throw academic daggers at me about evidence, you provide worthless accounts yourself claiming them to be "gospel" is laughable.

You are clearly, after many attempts from myself to diffuse the tension, one of those people that want to argue no matter what, that you are indeed the divine almighty!

Yes, I am a certified and time served Mechanic, Panel Beater and Paint sprayer with a degree in Engineering. I offered my opinion as you did yours. I did not 'attack you' or judge you. I was merely trying to help. I think it is a shame you felt the need to target me with unsubstantiated waffle that you feel is 'concrete evidence' despite it being anything but!

I'm not going to waste my time with you on this matter and would appreciate you and I stay well away from each other.

Its a shame in reference that a poor fellow is having issues with his car and all you see fit to do is 'pull another forum member to pieces with hypocritical toss'.
Wow, wouldn't it have been easier to simply find a few links and prove me wrong!

Thanks for editing your profile to remove the 's**** accord' comment.

^ I don't think it would get anywhere

The last graph in that link in post #34 shows that, from 0 to 50C, the viscosity of a 5w-30 changes a lot less than a 10w-30. It's a shame that they don't show a 0w-30, and it would be nice to find a graph of 0w-30 and 0w-40 plotted in the lower 500 cSt range, over the same temperature range.

Oil pressure would depend on the pump, and where in the oil circuit the loads were, but it does seem a reasonable proposition that chain noise would be quieter at start-up, but not so much in the summer as in the winter.

I've linked that last graph below

graph_4_viscosity_comparison.jpg

edit: but from about 50 C onwards, there wouldn't be that much difference in 5w-30 oil pressure with temperature ....more likely to vary with engine revs at the low rpm end

Thanks Jon & Richard. Let's leave it there.

One more time for anyone who's lost track. The Op's engine noise:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgEgIBvaZFo[/media]

Any further suggestions?